Fire Wood

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I am heading to the Big Horns (WY) for a DIY mule deer hunt during the last week of October. We will be tent camping and I have a wood burning cylinder stove and have read a lot about burning evergreen wood creates a lot of pitch / creosote buildup in the stove pipe and spark arrestor.
What does everyone do for fire wood that uses a wood burning stove in their tent?
I doubt there is much southern red oak in the Big Horns (joking).
Do you just gather and use dead fall or do you haul in your own? Buy pre cut when you get close to your area?

Thanks for info

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Unless you're in an area with rules against it, most guys cut dead, standing or leaning timber. Dry pine burns fine in a tent stove.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Fire wood is something i live with for heat six months out of the year. Dead wood, not laying but dead standing is the wood you want to burn. Standing dead wood stays dry, while deadfall or laying wood is under the snow most of the year and stays wet.

Yes pine creates soot and crap in your pipe. But your not going to be there all winter. I only clean my home stove pipe once a year.
You may need to take the spark screen off after about 4 days and brush it off. A quick dunk in a creek works well too if your near water.

To clean your stove pipe, when packing up, take each section and slide it over a small green jack pine. Use the tree as a brush. Works well. The main stove wont need that kind of attention. Then your pipe should be clean enough to stack together for travel.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Wood is my main heat too. Hadnt really thought about it like that before but but it makes alot of sense. I have noticed wood I cut thats still standing is better wood then if its down. Alot of wood thats down it pretty soft or starting to rot. I always figured it had just been dead too long.

lp2506

Mar 21, 2013
MO
We are taking our own lahunter. I see your from West Monroe are you a Duck Commander? I had to ask.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
You may need to take the spark screen off after about 4 days and brush it off. A quick dunk in a creek works well too if your near water.
Great point wolftalonID, this past days off I took my tent stove for the first time this year. Putting it together, I checked to make sure the pipe was clean. Don't remember really looking at the spark arrest. Well, I got smoked out horribly, not once, but 3 times. I just couldn't figure it out since this was the only time it has happened in 7 years. I decided to break everything down after the morning hunt and see what the problem was. Turns out the spark arrest was coated thick with ash, basically suffocating my fire. Once I cleaned that off, zero problems. Never ceases to amaze me how I can learn a valuable lesson years and years after I have been using that tent/stove.

As far as wood goes, I take my chainsaw and cut up whatever I need for camp. Like previously stated, dead standing trees are best.

Best of luck on your hunt, I will be heading out to elk camp Friday for a week here in NV.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
We are taking our own lahunter. I see your from West Monroe are you a Duck Commander? I had to ask.
I am a fan of the show, but not much of a duck hunter anymore. Just don't have the time to dedicate to it anymore with work and family. Mostly whitetails and now muleys this year. Thanks for reply. Good luck on your hunt.