Federal Brass?

Question for you reloaders. I normally use RP headstamp brass when loading for my 7mm Remmy. I just can't seem to find any of the RP new brass. I have located some new Federal Brass which is available. Any experience with Federal? Is it a good quality or should I just keep on searching for the RP?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
In my experience, unless your a competitive bench rest or other type of shooter, brass is brass. I really can't tell the difference. I do like to keep the same brand brass together, but a lot of times that doesn't happen. I don't like the silver finish brass as I have had some splitting problems with it in the past. The only exception for me is my Weatherby rifles (.300 & .257) where I only use WBY brass as I have a lot of it.

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
I was in the same dilemma when starting my new custom 300 Win Mag project gun last spring. I wanted a bunch of new brass for this gun only, as I have two 300 win mags. I found a guy selling once fired Fed match brass that he had fired in sniper training. This brass has been great. I bought 250 pieces and weighed all of them after cleaning and depriming. Over 150 of those brass weighed exactly 249.5 grains + or - .1 grain. The others were within 1 grain. They shoot very consistent in this gun. I wouldn't hesitate.