Favorite sidearm?

Wapiti_Hunter

Aug 8, 2014
Westminster CO
What is everyone's favorite pistol to carry while hiking or hunting?

I have a Taurus Millennium Pro in .45 acp, Taurus Revolover in .357 mag and a Ruger SR45.

Carry the Ruger for the most part

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I usually leave the extra hip weight at home when I am hunting unless I am hunting with a pistol. But for just hiking during the summer I'll pack anyone of what I have in my safe. Mostly I'll have my Beretta 96 in .40 S&W or my Ruger GP100 .357mag with me. I pack a S&W Shield in .40 S&W for a CC weapon.

Now if I am hunting with a handgun I'll lean towards a Thompson Center Contender in 7-30 Waters or .357 Herret as my first choice. If I want a wheel gun I'll pull out my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag.

When I am packing my Contender I usually have either the Ruger GP100 or Beretta 96 as a backup gun.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I don't pack a sidearm when I am rifle hunting (I don't bow hunt). When I am in Griz country I do pack a S & W model 500 .50 S & W cal. in a shoulder holster.

When I am hiking or fishing in the mts, I carry my concealed carry KelTec 9mm.

Last edited:

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
About the only time I carry a sidearm is when I'm packing meat and then it's a S&W Model 29 44 mag in a shoulder holster. I do carry a single shot 22 on a rope for collecting camp meat. The rope goes around my neck and the pistol in my waistband. Very accurate set up.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I only carry a sidearm when I'm dressed. My go to is a S&W 340PD. .357mag. Weighs 12 oz. empty. If I feel the need I can take the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Not a fan of autos for hunting or fishing. Less things to go wrong.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
If there is not a rifle in my hands, when in the woods, it's usually my S&W Shield stuffed with 200 gr. hard cast bullets. Occasionally the Ruger SP 101 in .357 gets the nod. Both usually concealed but very handy. If around Brown bear country, it's the Mossberg Mariner 12 ga. nickel/Teflon finished shotgun with tough heavy slugs.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
In public it's either a Ruger LCP with laserguard or Sig 938. I'm a big fan of 1911 style pistols mainly due to their triggers. I shoot rifles and revolvers with light triggers all year long and am more accurate with a good trigger. The LCP is a striker fired handgun and I can't shoot it as well, but still shoot it considerably better than what most consider necessary for a CC pistol.

I carry the 938 during cooler months where most people are wearing jackets and heavier clothing. It's both easier for me to conceal, and a more powerful round for penetrating layers of clothing and still offering good performance. I use Hornady Critical Defense ammo in both.

When traveling but not hunting I usually also take a full size 1911 45 and a darn good flashlight in case they are needed. Hope they never are, but I trust them more than my CC handgun when I'm in a home, hotel, or tent.

In the woods I mostly carry a 357 S&W 386XL Hunter when not carrying a rifle or shotgun. It weighs a little over 30oz with a 6" barrel and 7 shot cylinder. It weighs exactly the same as my Ruger SP101 4.2" barrel 5 shot revolver and is easier to shoot well. It is an extremely accurate gun, and the recoil is very mild with the grip they put on them. If I ever need it I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44 magnum with tritium sights and a Diamond D chest holster. I shoot it quite a bit but haven't been on a hunt where I need to carry it yet. I mostly rifle hunt and don't pack a handgun if I'm also packing a rifle. The 386 goes on scouting trips when not packing a rifle and no big bears are present.

Around home I have a few beat up Ruger P series handguns I picked up cheap over the years that reside in the vehicles. They are bulky but pretty accurate and very reliable. I live in a pretty rural area but also pretty close to a major highway. There have been enough times over the years people from the highway have showed up and created tense situations I like having one with me. I have never, and hope never to use one, but it's better to have it and never need it than the other way around.

Last fall we were eating supper with some elderly friends and a jeep Cherokee showed up loaded to the gills. The lady got out of the jeep and walked up to talk to our elderly friends that owned the place. She was wringing her hands, eyes unfocused, acted like she may be on drugs. She said her boyfriend in the jeep with her was abusive and that she needed help, but didn't want to call the police. He got out of the car and came up and apologized, said she was off her meds, and then she jumped in the jeep and left him. He started walking after her. They called the law and they picked him up, turned out he was right. A situation where being armed was not necessary but I was sure glad I was, you never know what to believe or what might happen.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Kimber CDP mostly then a glock 31 or Springfield XDM 40 when sweaty, dirty, wet . Looking at a lightweight revolver to add soon...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Ruger p89 9mm

BEEN THINKING BOUT GETTING A SHIELD OR LCR for less bulk

Last edited:

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
I've never carried a handgun while rifle hunting.

A 1911A1 is probably the most user friendly handgun ever made. And the .45 ACP needs no embellishment.

For urban carry, I'm good with a Sig P239. If it's LA urban carry, it's a Sig P229. BTW, my Sig P229 is the most reliable handgun I own, and that includes revolvers.

I love revolvers, but they have too many moving parts. More parts = increased probability of failure. When revolvers fail, and they will fail, their failures are almost always catastrophic. In fact, I've never seen a revolver fail that didn't have to go to an armorer for repair or replacement. When a semiauto fails, it's usually cleared within seconds.

Technology is causing revolvers to slide towards obsolescence. I know that I'd much rather 13 180 grain .40 S&W rounds with 12 more ready to go within seconds than 6 revolver rounds and 6 more ready to go within minutes.

I have a GP-100 that I bought for black bears. We fish in the Eastern Sierra. There are more black bears in the Easter Sierra than trout. But a 4" GP-100 is heavy and it holds only 6 rounds. I'm thinking of taking my P229 this year.