Fall Turkey Hunting

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Anyone hunting this fall anywhere? Pennsylvania's season starts around the beginning of November. Hopefully harvest my buck with a bow before then, so I can concentrate fully on the birds.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I buy permits every fall here in Nebraska- Usually end up filling them while bow hunting deer so rarely have to "focus" on turkey.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I normally have a tag with me as it coinsides with my archery deer season and take one when i get a chance

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
We usually go out to Kansas for some fall turkey! It is a good time but hunting them is way different than in the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We usually go out to Kansas for some fall turkey! It is a good time but hunting them is way different than in the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like trying to heard butterflies down there... entertaining to do a turkey drive in kansas lol.

My best success when I have seriously hunted fall turkey was to scout for a day or two to find their roost. Then just set up and wait for them the following evening.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Saturday is opening day. Got some birds to after. Hoping to get it done then so I can hit the whitetail rut next week with the stick and string.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Had 2 longbeards at 60 / 65 yards on Saturday. A long day except for the 45 minutes we had them in the sights as well as trailing a large flock. Going to take off Thursday when a unit that my employer owns a couple hundred of acres opens up. Its a three day season, but a lot of birds in there.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Missouri archery deer tags include 2 turkey tags, so I'll stick a gobbler if he happens to walk by while I'm bow hunting. But, I never buy fall turkey shotgun tags, and go exclusively after them.. I don't find them very much fun to hunt when they aren't gobbling.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
those dang nuisance birds are vocal year round here.
So I had chores to do at the house on sunday. I have not been home during daylight hours and we have lots of nuisance birds around me. So putting the deck furniture away for the winter and low and behold, my deck is full of turkey feces. Not just one or tow piles but dozens off them.
in Idaho you are allowed 5 a year. For me the tags are to expensive and the birds to easy to deal with.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
those dang nuisance birds are vocal year round here.
So I had chores to do at the house on sunday. I have not been home during daylight hours and we have lots of nuisance birds around me. So putting the deck furniture away for the winter and low and behold, my deck is full of turkey feces. Not just one or tow piles but dozens off them.
in Idaho you are allowed 5 a year. For me the tags are to expensive and the birds to easy to deal with.
You made me laugh, reminded me of my father-in-law. He had 19 Turkeys that started roosting on his front yard deck rails a few years back. He thought it was a pretty cool thing, he let them be for a week or so, went out and looked at the mess and suggested I take up Turkey hunting.

Last edited:

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Missouri archery deer tags include 2 turkey tags, so I'll stick a gobbler if he happens to walk by while I'm bow hunting. But, I never buy fall turkey shotgun tags, and go exclusively after them.. I don't find them very much fun to hunt when they aren't gobbling.
Oh man. Bust up a good sized flock and get in the middle of them. That will get ya excited!

Last edited:

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Was able to harvest a gobbler with an 8" beard on Saturday. 2 hours later my father got into another flock and harvested a jake of the year. Had a decent 4 point buck walk up to 15 yards of us and jumped 2 coyotes but could only watch them look at us as we didn't have the .223 with us. Great day in the woods. Hoping to harvest a rut-crazed buck the rest of this week. Looking like my sister will have to wait to try to get a Thanksgiving day bird as our season comes back in for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Good luck to the rest of you looking for a fall bird!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Was able to harvest a gobbler with an 8" beard on Saturday. 2 hours later my father got into another flock and harvested a jake of the year. Had a decent 4 point buck walk up to 15 yards of us and jumped 2 coyotes but could only watch them look at us as we didn't have the .223 with us. Great day in the woods. Hoping to harvest a rut-crazed buck the rest of this week. Looking like my sister will have to wait to try to get a Thanksgiving day bird as our season comes back in for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Good luck to the rest of you looking for a fall bird!
FYI- Turkey loads will roll a coyote out to about 50 yards. I have done it several times with DRT results. I shoot 12ga 3" mag #4s typically. Not sure how 6 shot would do but the number 4s or larger in a tight pattern put dogs down.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
FYI- Turkey loads will roll a coyote out to about 50 yards. I have done it several times with DRT results. I shoot 12ga 3" mag #4s typically. Not sure how 6 shot would do but the number 4s or larger in a tight pattern put dogs down.
He was at around 100 yards in the woods. If he was at even 60 I would have been putting it on him. I killed a gobbler at 62 a couple years ago, but I like to have them a lot closer. We use Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
He was at around 100 yards in the woods. If he was at even 60 I would have been putting it on him. I killed a gobbler at 62 a couple years ago, but I like to have them a lot closer. We use Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend.
Yeah 100 is too far... Just hate letting them go lol. Nice job on the toms. Have pictures?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
interesting dilemma this summer. The nuisance birds where roosting right off of my shop. I would walk out to do something and they would be gathering on the driveway to roost. I love scaring them off of the cliff to watch them glide, but don't really want to scare them to much, when roosting. But we did shoo some off of the deck this morning.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Yeah 100 is too far... Just hate letting them go lol. Nice job on the toms. Have pictures?
No doubt, the population is growing like wildfire around here. Nobody trapping + less hunters in the woods + smart creatures + mostly treed / mountainous landscape = recipe for disaster.

Didn't take any pictures. Too busy trying to get back after them for my sister.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
those dang nuisance birds are vocal year round here. QUOTE

Had a gobbler gobble on Saturday on top of the mountain while deer hunting. It was about 25 degrees and windy. It was first thing in the morning and someone must have scattered them heading to their treestand. It was nice to hear!