Extremely warm yet somewhat packable puffy?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have been thinking of getting a warmer puffy jacket. I have the Kifaru Lost Park currently. I sold my pull over version and bought the full zip when it came out, and although I really like it for a lot of hunts I don't think it's as warm as the other one. I have mainly been layering it over an Aerowool base, Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody, and under a Sitka Mountain Jacket or rain jacket. For some conditions I've been in I have found myself wanting a little more warmth. Mostly when it's slightly above freezing, windy, and the air is really damp. For warmer hunts I have a Kuiu Kenai jacket and a FL Uncompaghre vest. I have everything pretty well covered except extremely cold or crappy weather.

I have been looking at the FL Chamberlain, the Sitka down WS, and the Kuiu Superdown Pro. I would like to stick with a water resistant down and have a jacket that is somewhat packable. The FL Chamberlain does not have the water resistant down but the other two do. Any other jackets from non-hunting companies I should look at or does anyone have experience with those I listed.

Thanks for the help.

Tenstrike

May 27, 2016
Northern Minnesota
Tomorrow is the end of my hunting season with the end of MN muzzleloader season. I have used the Kuiu down puffy jacket during November and December and have noticed it traps moisture. I have used it mostly for stand sitting, hike out to the spot, get heated up, sit for a while at the stand location until you cooled down a little and then put the puffy jacket on, covered by a thinner quite jacket, I use a Sitka 90%. When I go to take it off for the hike out, the inside of the puffy jacket will be totally soaked, moisture running down the inside of the coat. I'm not going to dis Kuiu as I love their stuff, I think any nylon puffy jacket will probably trap moisture in a similar way when used in cold (sub 0). Just my experience.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I did a down puffy vest from north face and a kryptek synthetic small puffy jacket. With Kuiu guide Jacket over it. Good to 32 sitting. But I would like to replace the Kuiu jacket for next year as the wind will burn trough it when sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I’m not familiar with the puffy jackets you mentioned you are using, but I run a Patagonia nanopuff. A lightweight wool baselayer, the nanopuff, and an uninsulated shell gets me into the low teens. If it’s colder than that, or I’m sitting still for long periods of time, I’ll add a heavy hoodie under the shell, band that’s about all I ever need.
The nanopuff is probably my favorite piece of clothing, it offers incredible warmth, is windproof, water resistant, and packs down to not much bigger than your fist.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I?m not familiar with the puffy jackets you mentioned you are using, but I run a Patagonia nanopuff. A lightweight wool baselayer, the nanopuff, and an uninsulated shell gets me into the low teens. If it?s colder than that, or I?m sitting still for long periods of time, I?ll add a heavy hoodie under the shell, band that?s about all I ever need.
The nanopuff is probably my favorite piece of clothing, it offers incredible warmth, is windproof, water resistant, and packs down to not much bigger than your fist.
Boy that nano folds down really small

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use the Sitka down puffy vest and the hooded zip up over that. Both will stuff in the hooded zip up bag. Very warm and pack able

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Welp.... Tragedy struck yesterday.. My oh so packable nano puff, which resides in my blind bag during duck season, flew out of my bag yesterday on the way home. Took a mild spill in the drink (read: got totally soaked). Toughed it out long enough to fill out with my last duck, then raced back to the ramp. Left my blind bag in the boat, thought it was closed, it wasn't.

Now..... To buy a new nano puff, or go a different direction?!

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Patagonia ultralight or microdown under a windproof shell you won’t ever need anything else. Packs so small you don’t even noticed the weight or space in your pack

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I have a core 4 down jacket I bought before they went out of business. I've had it several years now and it is great, but I can tell that the down is starting to lose its loft and it doesn't quite have the fill power I like. I'll be interested to see where this thread heads as I may be in the market for a good insulation layer

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I have the first lite puffy and love it. Packs into its own pocket pretty small. How small? I dunno… Smaller than my rain gear. I'd say a little smaller than a cantaloupe.

I was wondering how your moose hunt went. Judging by your avatar, it looks like it went awesome! Congrats!!!

Reactions: mcseal2

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have a core 4 down jacket I bought before they went out of business. I've had it several years now and it is great, but I can tell that the down is starting to lose its loft and it doesn't quite have the fill power I like. I'll be interested to see where this thread heads as I may be in the market for a good insulation layer
Get some "down wash" laundry soap, and follow the directions. It makes a big difference, as all clothing picks up body oils, grime, etc. over time. Also, just like a premium down sleeping bag, a puffy jacket or vest shouldn't be stuffed or compressed during storage.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have the first lite puffy and love it. Packs into its own pocket pretty small. How small? I dunno? Smaller than my rain gear. I'd say a little smaller than a cantaloupe.

I was wondering how your moose hunt went. Judging by your avatar, it looks like it went awesome! Congrats!!!
Thanks! The moose hunt went great, I got a nice bull mid-hunt and my buddy took a younger one late.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I got a L.L. Bean Ultralight 850 Down Hooded Jacket a couple of years ago when it was available in green. The fill is Down Tek. I like it a lot. It packs to the size of my nanopuff jacket but is much warmer. I don?t know if the extra warmth is due to the fill or the hood. It seems fairly wind resistant.

Since I worry about down, even treated down, on wet days, Santa Claus brought me a nanopuff hooded jacket this year. It seems thin compared to the L.L. Bean hooded jacket. I will see how it compares warmth-wise while predator hunting this winter.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'd really like to invest in a puffy, but they seem so thin and ripe for tearing/ripping. I tried a cabelas $75/special 2 years ago and was drastically disappointed. I did take it back. Tried it 2-3 times over a 2 weeks period and returned it while there was still something left of it and I was not beating much brush. It was simply junk.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I want one warm enough I definitely wouldn't be beating brush in it. It would be only for stationary use. I already have the tougher Kifaru Lost Park and a Kuiu Kenai if I'm going to be moving in one at all. Best I've found for moving is putting the FL Uncompaghre vest or the Kuiu Kenai under a soft shell outer layer.

I put together this list after asking this question a few places on the ranking of ones that were popular, warmest to least warm. This isn't a complete list just what people were talking about on the warmer end of the puffy spectrum. These are all using the better down or synthetic insulation on the market from what I could find.

Chamberlin (11oz of down)
Montbell Permafrost (9oz of down)
Sitka WS down (around 9oz of down synthetic mix)
Kuiu Superdown Pro (5oz of treated down)
Kifaru LPP (3.6oz synthetic)

mntnguide

Very Active Member
The warmth of the Chamberlain is pretty impressive. I wear it quite often this winter for going out when it has been sub-zero and don't even wear layers under and am plenty warm. I also really like the fit and feel of it overall. A friend of mine uses his as his go to duck hunting coat and rarely wears much more than a t-shirt under it. You definitely wouldn't want to be doing any serious moving around in it for how warm it is. Definitely one of my favorite FL pieces now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I?ve used all of these (minus the FL) and hands down the warmest is the Sitka but also hands down the least packable and its the heaviest, I had to part with it. With that said my primary use was hiking in a mile or 2 and then bundling up.
Just depends on how packable you need it.