Exo 5500 vs mystery ranch Marshall

Firefighter44

Feb 6, 2015
Washington
Been looking into a new pack and have been hearing great things about the new Exo mountain 5500. I saw on mystery ranch that they have come out with the new "Marshall" pack. Haven't been able to find many reviews or much about how this pack performs.
Has anyone put these two packs to the test. Let me know what you think and why!
Thank you all!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Exo 5500...phenomenal pack. I just packed out over 1/2 a cow elk yesterday in one haul with mine...Steep nasty downfall country, and the pack handled everything great...I weighed the pack at just over 110 after i got home.. I used it all fall as both a daypack and a multi-day pack, and it just works great no matter! I know mystery ranch makes good packs, but they tend to be on the heavier side, and ever since i wore a buddies Exo I couldnt believe how comfortable it was for me, so i ordered mine the next day this spring. After 8 years of guiding im pretty darn particular to the pack I want..I have had most all the major name brands and always find things i dont like about a pack whether it be minor or major...I have yet to find that in my Exo. The frame bends when needed if pulling your bow, but is rigid and solid when it comes to hauling the heavy loads. I think you would be happy either route, but my vote is for the Exo, as I will not be buying another pack for many years to come

Hycntryhtr

Feb 22, 2014
north colorado
I have the metcalf from mystery ranch, it is,easily a 5 to 7 day bag. Tons of room, love the way it fits, and rides. Haven't gotten to pack anything out on it yet, but done some weight tests at home. Love the mystery ranch

drifli

Jun 7, 2015
Tahoe, Yosemite,
I lived like most WildLand Firfighters in a MR pack. I have used my fire pack even for hunting and hauling,not ideal but has worked out great. Now if I had more money I would own one of there hunting packs. I will honestly say every firefighter who I know that works as a Hot Shot or Crew Captain uses MR packs. Each pack easily gets over a 100 days a year on it and usually in California a hell of a lot more. Also everyone brings up weight, I would rather have a pack that I live in all year for the last 5 years work and feel like an old jacket then some light weight pack I'm not sure is going to last but one or two hunting seasons. I think the average back country hunter doesn't even scratch the surface of how much time we in the Fire world live in back packs. Mystery Ranch is the real deal that will stand the test of real time.