Ever met a hunting partner on here, or any other forum?

FitToHunt

Curious to hear people's experiences meeting others for hunts on this, or other similar forums. I know for me it's always been tough to find like-minded individuals to bow hunt with specifically. With trying to coordinate dates, having the $, or the interest in doing the types of backcountry stuff I enjoy.

RANGER619

Sep 27, 2011
MN
I did meet a guy from another forum and hunted a few days with him on one hunt. I haven't met anyone that has become a regular partner though. It is tough to find like minded people. I end up going out west a couple times a year solo. I am getting too old to miss a year while waiting to meet a hunting partner.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
" I am getting too old to miss a year while waiting to meet a hunting partner."
X2

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Last year I hunted with a member of the Forum and Eastman's staff. Great guy, but as he lives on the east coast, hard to plan much in the future. Had a great time and fun to meet someone with like views, would do it again.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've hunted with two people from the forum - both are great guys, and guys that I will plan many more hunts with. I'll hunt with at least one more guy from the forum this fall.
I'm not going to speak for everyone here.. but the people I've met in person, or talked to on the phone, shared texts with, etc... Have all been like minded guys, that love to hunt, and hunt hard. All guys that I'd be happy to share a camp with, if I haven't already.

Watch out for those Idaho dudes though, they a little sketch.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Ive done a few hunts with folks met on hunting forums when I lived in Oklahoma. All and all it was a good experience, one ended up being the guys last hunt as he was fighting cancer and died a few months later. All and all it was a good way to meet other hunters and all have been good people. This year I'll be meeting up with a group from out of state who drew the same antelope tag.

That being said I have heard of some horror stories as everyone has a different idea of what hunting is it seems.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ive been on a couple of moose hunts with members and met others in passing in the mountains, left a stash of goods at base of trail head in ones truck. hunted elk with one and i wish i would of had that same tag and would have been able to stay longer and hunt harder but it was a great time other than the fact he enjoyed IPA, (no judging). at the end of the day, this forum is made up of mostly like minded individuals that share that passion of of being in the middle of nowhere and taking in all that the great wilderness has to offer. also WTH kind of name is Fink???

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
I met one of my best friends on a fishing forum 14 years ago. He was in my wedding, our first sons were born a week apart, we have spent countless days hunting birds together. So it?s possible.

hoshour

Veteran member
I hunted with someone from the forum here and had a great time and am going this year with a guy I've never met in person. I also met a forum member for coffee one time and he offered to have me join his group for an elk hunt. I didn't take him up on it, but might in the future. Very nice guy. Come to think of it, I have another hunt scheduled this year with someone from the forum here.

Not speaking for anyone at Eastmans', but should we have a section on here to let guys post that they're looking for someone to hunt with? I guess someone could just post here under General or the state or species.

I think it's mostly an issue for those of us who are either new or fairly new to big game hunting in the West or don't live in the mountain states and I would be curious to know how many people that is. To be in that situation can be frustrating and intimidating. Many would be guys without much western hunting experience who have a desire to learn, don't know where to go and don't currently have anyone they know to go with. That's probably most true for elk.

The people who might be OK with that are likely to be non-family groups, other newbies or even experienced hunters from out of the area that want to share camp or share expenses, especially travel.

Families or hardcore hunters with spots they don't want people to know about or who prefer to hunt solo I wouldn't think would be interested unless they'd just like some company in camp.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Yes, i'd love to expand my network of people and hunts to go on. Especially, if I could find someone willing to do some more extreme adventures.
This is always what's missing when I'm talking with potential guys. They don't get it that it's not a "deer drive" or tree stand or staying in a cabin by a mountain lake... Those are all nice things, but when I go west, give me my pack and a few million acres of public ground and I'll make it up as I go. :cool:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
We had a "group" started under the Community tab above. It started strong, but fizzled out really quickly. I believe there were 30-40 members at one point, but only a few of us posted. Some hunt plans did not align the first year and I feel the thread gets forgotten not being listed in the main forum.
I actually met a hunt partner on the other one forum I visit from time to time. They had the thread in the general hunt discussion and I revived it from the grave and it took off. It's still going strong after 2 years. He was a good guy and we both hunted hard for 6 days.

But honestly, like was already stated, this is by far the best forum for us like-minded backcountry hunters without the other styles (no offense). That's why I'm always stoking the fire at this "campsite". ;)

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've hunted with a couple guys I met on another forum. 1 lasted a few years but barely talk now. Still friends but had a little falling out.
1 other I intend to hunt with again but no definate plans right now.
Mostly just me and my son. Heading to Alaska this Saturday. I'm not as fit as I should be but he has to deal with it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Its hard to acquire the same tags, when you are building points in multiple states.... but it can be done. Anyone have 10+ elk points in AZ and want to do an archery hunt next year? I know the unit.

I have someone in this forum helping me on a WY elk tag this year that I burned 10 points on. We have plans to hunt a few days at the beginning of September... I plan to return the favor in future years with CO tags.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I've done it twice. Once with a guy from PA and one with a guy here in WY. The guy from PA had some questionable ethics. I wouldn't hunt with him again. I'm fairly certain he was willing to shoot a bull with his son's "any elk" tag, even though he only had a cow tag. I'm relieved no animals were killed on that trip. The guy from WY I've hunted and fished with on several occasions now and will probably hunt with quite a bit in the future. I would hunt with a stranger from a forum, but I would never go too far out of my way to make it work out. Make a plan that you can make happen by yourself if the other person bails or turns out to be a lousy hunting partner. The ideal situation is to meet someone nearby with whom you can hunt on day trips, then plan something longer once you have enough rapport to know their dependability and hunting style.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Gotta watch those people from Pennsylvania! lol

I have never hunted with anyone from this site but I have hunted with some folks from some waterfowl forums with mixed results so I dont do that much anymore. (The guy from PA didn't have questionable ethics....he didn't have any ethics...)

I look forward to meeting a new member or two this fall from the forum. I could use some new good friends.

Last edited:

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
A day hunt(Quail or Dove)if the person lived in same state would be a good ice breaker for me.Find out hunt style/ethics,and go from there.Had a co-worker hunt Quail with me one year.He missed his first shot and proceeded to spike his Browning shotgun in the dirt.I walked away from that situaiton as fast as I could.Never looked back.:cool:

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
It would be a great thing to get to know others perhaps in person from this forum. Of course, logistics is always the issue. Even within same state, hell, could be hundreds of miles but it could work. I spoke on the phone with an individual on the forum and that conversation helped me a great deal on a specific topic!