Enforcement of MVUM in the Bighorns

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Pretty simple question. Just want to know if that map is enforced, or if people go where they want. There are a couple of nice sized areas outside the wilderness that we would like to hunt, but the idea of listening to atv and utv traffic is not our idea of a good time. We also don't want to have to deal with this traffic next to the horses.

A SDGFP officer told us last fall that the enforcement of the MVUM in the grasslands by Wall is nonexistent. His exact words were, "You're not supposed to drive on it, but no one is enforcing that."

While hunting is a priority for us, the larger experience of doing so in the mountains with our horse is what we are really after. On our trip to the Bighorns and Buffalo last summer the traffic of these vehicles was pretty heavy, but we were on roads listed as open so it wasn't a big deal.

We plan on coming out for a week this summer to look over the areas we plan to hunt, namely the southern Bighorns, and the south end of Area Y. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you, Horsenhike

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Horsenhike, People stay on the roads. I think I have only seen one violation in 10 years and it was within 200 yards of the designated road. I'm sure it happens but I haven't seen evidence (tracks) when I have hiked in to those areas away from the roads. That's in Southwest Bighorns.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
From the road.

We spent our honeymoon in Wyoming and the Bighorns and Buffalo area was our favorite. Skipped the NW corner, but saw a lot of country and had a fantastic time.