Elk Type 4 tag / Area 24- Green Mtn

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
Anyone know why the Type 4 cow tag has such a low success rate in Elk area 24? Looks like 16.3% for 2013 and 28.6% for 2012.

Do they migrate off the mountain into a different unit? I don't actually have a tag, but am looking at different type 4 tag success rates and this one seemed low so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
I noticed this as well in some areas with high trophy bull success rates in the surrounding areas. I would be interested to know why as well.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
2014 harvest deal is out and said 31% for Type 4 and 52.5% for Type 5. Type 5 looks like a later season, so I think 24 is one of those areas where you have to time it right for their migration. Just taking a WAG at it, but it looks like success is improving for the last couple of years for Type 4, so it might be a good area. We have been having alternate years with snow or hot Oct., so that might explain some of the jumping around of success.

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
2014 harvest deal is out and said 31% for Type 4 and 52.5% for Type 5. Type 5 looks like a later season, so I think 24 is one of those areas where you have to time it right for their migration. Just taking a WAG at it, but it looks like success is improving for the last couple of years for Type 4, so it might be a good area. We have been having alternate years with snow or hot Oct., so that might explain some of the jumping around of success.

I had heard that the snow really cut down on the success during some of the years. Thanks for your input.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
One thing to keep in mind for that particular unit is that the Type 4 tag is also valid for the Type 5 season dates if unfilled. I don't know if that's taken into account with the harvest statistics or not, but some people might just wait till after the mountain gets hit by the archery elk/deer hunters, and the two rifle seasons run 10/1-10/14 & 10/15-10/22 for elk and deer respectively.