Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I regret ever buying one point in the Oregon game, especially when they reduced the DIY quota to a whopping 2 1/2%. If I could sell them I would. But at least I drew tags in many other states while waiting. Finally up to 21 and may be able to draw Mt. Emily this year. Would have drawn the lone tag last year had I applied. When I'm past that first obstacle, I'll just hafta figure out the spike pressure. One good thing is I have time to hunt the entire season. After that I'll have to decide what to do with the deer & lope points, or just abandon them.

Zim, keep in mind the Oregon archery season ends on September 22 this year, and the full moon on on the 14th, so your last two weeks will be leading into the full moon and out of the full moon. I just read a post today that in 2020 (not sure if it is true), the archery closing date shifts a week later with the moon dark on the 17th.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Zim, keep in mind the Oregon archery season ends on September 22 this year, and the full moon on on the 14th, so your last two weeks will be leading into the full moon and out of the full moon. I just read a post today that in 2020 (not sure if it is true), the archery closing date shifts a week later with the moon dark on the 17th.
This is good info but I am 60 and no doubt other point holders will be aware of the moon. It only takes one Weneha hunter or pointholder to bump me thanks to outfitter welfare so I?m just not in position to wait for things like the moon phase. That would be a luxury. I?d be hunting for the full 4 week season as well, so the moon will be good the first two weeks when I?ll be sitting in a treestand over water.

elkocd

Apr 7, 2011
Oregon
This is good info but I am 60 and no doubt other point holders will be aware of the moon. It only takes one Weneha hunter or pointholder to bump me thanks to outfitter welfare so I?m just not in position to wait for things like the moon phase. That would be a luxury. I?d be hunting for the full 4 week season as well, so the moon will be good the first two weeks when I?ll be sitting in a treestand over water.
The moon is the most talked about and most irrelevant factor in elk hunting. If you can draw you should hunt. There are other factors like weather that are out of your control that will play a much larger role than the moon. FYI I've had some of my best hunting in or around full moons. Sure it changes things but does not make the hunting worse.