Joe Schmo

Jan 14, 2017
Have you taken a gander at the oregontags charts? I think you’re a solid 10-15 years out...:/

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Have you taken a gander at the oregontags charts? I think you’re a solid 10-15 years out...:/
really? never done POINT SYSTEM states , how many points can one accumulate in a year? is it only one or is it more?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Only one point per year. Some hunts are reaching two decades of points, it’s embarrassing.
THAT is what I thought but was unsure . hard to believe any state can sustain that.
makes me happy ,Idaho stuck with luck of the draw. even though I am one of the unlucky ones , I know many who draw good tags often.

in last 5 years I have drawn a cow tag once in five tries while my brother puts in for same hunt and has drawn the tag three years straight and 4 out of five years.

guess I should pray more.:D

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I wish we never went with a points system, it’s flooded with people who don’t even hunt. My own brother has 19 points for deer and has no idea what to do with them. There isn’t a deer hunt in the state worth 19 years of waiting, but some people seem to think so. It will take 20 points to guarantee a Late archery Metolius tag next year, what a joke.

The three popular elk hunt units are all taking nearly two decades of points to draw, we are seeing more people realize this now and they are dropping out and raising the amount of points it takes for mediocre units now. We have it all messed up.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Well like I originally said, I was young and foolish when I got roped into building points and I'm within 4 years of the big 3. Never again.
I did the same thing when I started applying for antelope. 15 years later I finally drew a tag, I stopped applying for them in Oregon after that. I’m not going to wait an15-20 years to hunt antelope, I will go out of state.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I wish we never went with a points system, it’s flooded with people who don’t even hunt. My own brother has 19 points for deer and has no idea what to do with them. There isn’t a deer hunt in the state worth 19 years of waiting, but some people seem to think so. It will take 20 points to guarantee a Late archery Metolius tag next year, what a joke.

The three popular elk hunt units are all taking nearly two decades of points to draw, we are seeing more people realize this now and they are dropping out and raising the amount of points it takes for mediocre units now. We have it all messed up.
It’s one of the main reasons I began applying out of state. Some tags I can get most years, some take longer. That way I get to hunt often. If all I applied for was OR, I’d hunt deer/elk hunts I could draw easily and often.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
It’s one of the main reasons I began applying out of state. Some tags I can get most years, some take longer. That way I get to hunt often. If all I applied for was OR, I’d hunt deer/elk hunts I could draw easily and often.
yep better to hunt an average unit you know often then a great unit you've never been to, once.

most will experience higher success and less disappointment. that way.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
yep better to hunt an average unit you know often then a great unit you've never been to, once.

most will experience higher success and less disappointment. that way.
Nearly every animal I have killed has been in a very low success rate area. I’ve never drawn a great tag other than me sheep tag.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I ve only drawn one . it was a bull elk hunt .. it was a great hunt even though I never filled the tag.

I passed on some great bulls but never got the opportunity on the one I wanted.
if I had it to do over, I would pass on every one of them again. I regret nothing , I did on that hunt.

in those kind of hunts one has to decide what is my priority ? meat or horn? what is my goal 300 bull ,350 bull, 400 bull? will I be a cry baby and second guess myself if I pass on a smaller bull and end eating tag soup or will I cherish the opportunity I had ?

once you decide the answer to these questions , make a plan and stick with it.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I got w hopper buck in Utah with a general muzz tag that took 0 points to draw,,I came back to my home state of Oregon and hunted 16 days in maury unit for a cow,,"eastmans blue chip unit",,and was unable to even see a single elk on public land?2018 utah deer back of truck.jpg

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
wenaha elk is way overrated for 23 points,,,your surrounded by spike hunters at the same time you have drawn your coveted bull tag,lol

I wish we never went with a points system, it?s flooded with people who don?t even hunt. My own brother has 19 points for deer and has no idea what to do with them. There isn?t a deer hunt in the state worth 19 years of waiting, but some people seem to think so. It will take 20 points to guarantee a Late archery Metolius tag next year, what a joke.

(Responding to the thread in general, not complaining about you in particular, TS. I think you understand the situation well.)

I like our point system just for the reason that it allows me to plan and prepare, knowing what tags I can draw in a given year or how much longer I have to wait. I hunt, my wife hunts, my three kids hunt, and I'm often helping plan hunts for a few other people, as well. The point system gives me something to research all winter and spring, and it also means everyone has a turn come fall.

I think hunters do need to take some responsibility for the fact that they have done this to themselves. Thousands of people want to hunt the Big 3 for elk, but then they complain that too many people want the same tag, and they can't draw. I see it as a Corvette hunt for Lamborghini prices. A Corvette is nice, but it's not worth the price of a Lamborghini. If the only Corvettes available are priced at Lamborghini prices, it's time to look for something other than a Corvette. How many hunters have full knowledge of the numbers, yet continue applying for the Big 3, and then complain that ODFW is to blame for them not drawing a tag. If the price (in points) is too high, then the hunt is not worth it. Spend your points more wisely or stop complaining.

I see two things going on in people's minds. One is an entitlement mentality. I deserve a Wenaha tag more than the other 2,000 applicants because.... Well, no you don't, and everybody has to take their turn. The other I call (with apologies to the proprietors of this forum) Eastman-itis, the belief that if I can just draw a blue-chip tag, I will finally have a fulfilling hunting experience and maybe get my picture on the cover of the magazine where it should be. Never mind that I've read Guy's advice to study the list of green chip hunts so I can hunt more often and actually develop my hunting skills.

Full disclosure, I'm sitting on 17 elk points going into next year. I'm hoping for a Big 3 tag sometime soon. With my wife and kids, I have plenty of good hunts to keep me busy while I wait, and then if/when I do draw, I don't plan to ever again save that many points. Much rather pay Jeep Cherokee prices for Jeep Cherokee kinds of hunts. (I like my Jeep Cherokee.) My oldest is up to 7 points next year, since she's been saving since age 9, and I'm looking for ways for her to cash in before she gets too many more.

QQ

QQ

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I think the system should go back to how it started, pay up front and no point savers. If it had stayed that way we would see the point creep as bad as we do today. I also think it’s time to make all hunts draw only. It’s the only way I can think of to flush the system and get points under control. Antelope is the worst, I don’t think there an average unit that you can draw with less than 13 points. Why would a new hunter get excited about trying to draw an antelope hunt knowing they will likely be in their thirties before they ever draw a tag.
The best solution would be more animals to hunt so there were more tags to offer, but they way the majority of the Oregon residents think that will never happen.

I have three daughters, they all have 6-8 points for elk and 4-8 for deer. The umits we were targeting 5 years ago have all gine down hill so bad we decided not to waste the points in those units. Metolius deer and Silvies elk. I’ve been putting them in for very hard to draw tags and gaining points in the meantime till I figure out an area to cash in. I’m just not excited about anything right now in Oregon so we just hunt OTC areas and keep gaining points and adding to the problem.

Last edited:

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
the best hunting ive found so far is not in Oregon,,,Wyoming for antelope and Utah general for deer has Oregon beat hands down,,,if you want to" camp",,you can do that about anywhere,,,Oregon flat out sucks for quality,quantity.only reason id even spend money on Oregon is that I get the resident prices,,even at that it is a marginal deal at best.I do not see odfw spending moneys wisely,,they are blowing it on crap like the wolves.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I regret ever buying one point in the Oregon game, especially when they reduced the DIY quota to a whopping 2 1/2%. If I could sell them I would. But at least I drew tags in many other states while waiting. Finally up to 21 and may be able to draw Mt. Emily this year. Would have drawn the lone tag last year had I applied. When I'm past that first obstacle, I'll just hafta figure out the spike pressure. One good thing is I have time to hunt the entire season. After that I'll have to decide what to do with the deer & lope points, or just abandon them.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I got out of the 600 series along time ago. I dropped out of the 400 series antelope too after waiting 16 years to draw a tag. I’ve narrowed it down to only applying for deer and elk in the points pool. I do apply for antelope in the premium, I have better odds drawing one of those in the next 20 years than I do a regular antelope tag. There are supposed to be possible changes in 2020 I’m glad I don’t have decades of points banked right now, who knows what will happen “IF” they Restructure the points system.