Dropping the Ball

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
About 3 or 4 years ago in NE Wyoming, there was a huge big game bust. There were about 5 people that got indicted on federal charges for the lacey act and were charged in federal court. The state said it had so many cases to deal with it would take a year to get everyone into court. There was never any news out what had happened to any of the people that were suppose to go to court. My dad and I asked the local game warden (who they have changed 3 times since then for threats and their safety) and the local game and fish commissioner what is going on with the case. They told us that the person who was dealing with all the paperwork got overwhelmed and quit and took another job. They couldn't find any paperwork after he left and they dropped the ball on this case and cant do anything about it.

There was a rumor that there were 20+ people that were in this poaching ring. I have a hard time believing that there was only one person on this case. I don't know what happened but no one has learned a lesson that was involved. One of the people who got in trouble works with my dad and said he will no longer buy licenses. He will hunt but not with a license since he is so mad at the game and fish. I don't know if they paid some money to the game and fish as a plea bargain and nothing was released or what happened. The game and fish did nothing but fuel the fire for some of these poachers who got in trouble.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Bad deal. Thanks for the info. Kindof discouraging. I saw something about violations in NE Wyoming going up by 23% or something like that over the last year. It wasn't very specific I guess. Do you know more about that deal? Hopefully that gets fixed. Partly the same guys maybe, that is really not good.

Last edited:

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
I know quite a bit about what the main cases were for. Most of them were all related and best friends with the one that works with my dad. One family had an untagged lion in their freezer. The bad part about that was that is was laying next to a bald eagle. That family got of the hook because they gave the feds info on some others. I figured the bald eagle would've sent them to prison. Its all just a sad deal how it all played out.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
A Google search for poaching in Wyoming hurt my head.

Do you have any specifics at all? Like a date, or a name? Anything at all?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
From the sounds of it naming names and whatnot could result in threats or worse. Nothing is really anonymous in a small town it seems like. Luckily I go through life oblivious to my own feet because they are too far away to care about. I didn't know if it was a rash of punk kids, but this sounds worse.

Last edited:

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I would just like to find some information on this case. Curiosity more than anything.

Law and order is what makes this country great. Corruption is the plague of freedom.

I have a friend from Guatamala who has explained in detail what happens when good people remain silent because of fear.

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
This was a family of landowners that are known for their poaching. An undercover detective bought one of their landowner tags. That is the big thing that got them busted. Then it stemmed from there. Other friends and family members were questioned and served papers that they will have to serve in state court. It was rumored that there were anywhere from 20-50 people involved. Even a highway patrol officer did taxidermy on the side and had some of their elk at his place without tags. He resigned from the hwy patrol before he went under investigation. There is a whole mess of counts of violations that these people were in trouble for.