Drone Ruins Sandhill Crane Hunt

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
While scouting for a waterfowl hunt for my son and I low and behold I find 3 Sandhills loafing at the big lake. After watching them all day I put them to bed on a shoreline. Next am we are at the glassing spot. Plan is to find em again. Paddle across the lake parallel them and stalk em down the shoreline. Well we never find em. We decide to get in the truck and circle to the south end to glass. We never make it as we find 18 of em in a pothole pond on BLM. The pond is 192 yards from the main paved road. Quick 5 minutes of planning results in us going .8 miles away, parking and stalking from a direction that offers the most concealment using terrain and bushes. 15 min of fast walking, then low crawl that seems like a long way gets us to 300 yards. They fed toward us and were on a highpoint. We have good cover and decide to wait them out. I figure they have to go back to the pothole for water at some point. When they do they will feed out of sight and we can then get to a reasonable 40 to 50 yard shooting distance. After a 2 hour sit my son says " ah hell they are all getting up" they lift, one spin, two spins and head south. 15 seconds later we hear a drone. Cant find it but I hear it. I look up at the road and glass what looks like a guy holding a drone control box in the shade of his hatch back. We stand up. It passes us about 50 yards in the air. I take aim with three 3.5 inch BB Black Clouds and almost shoot it down. It goes back to his car loads and leaves. Not really sure if he ever even saw us.

It would appear he was going down the road. Saw the cranes, stopped and took pictures with the drone. I called CPW just to tell them the story and it would appear he would have qualified for "wildlife harrassment charges" as he clealry changed their behavior /what they were doing/bumped them. If he knew we were there he would have qualified for "hunter harassment also".

We walked out. Went to the boat ramp just to see if by chance he was there and no luck. Oh well. Really thought we had a good plan to finally taste the ribeye of the sky. 😃

Now the real lesson learned. Im gonna put a montana decoy moo cow and antelope decoy in the truck. I feel like if we went slow behind those decoys we just might have walked pretty close to them for a shot. Pic was through the binos at 300 yards.

IMG-20211018-WA0000.jpg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That sucks! Drones are a pain in the rear for hunters. Last year I was duck hunting on my Dad's old duck club in California. A state highway borders one side of it. A guy stopped just off the highway and got a drone out and proceeded to fly it over the club. All the ducks got up and left. It was about 10 minutes before legal shooting time and all 8 blinds had hunters in them.

The same thing happened the next morning and the drone got shot down. Later in the day a game warden shows up and said the club had started shooting too early. The club manager explained what had happened and he had the drone. I guess the guy got a harassment ticket. The drone is hanging from the ceiling of the clubhouse.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I use a drone for work from time to time - doing property surveys where walking is not feasible - deep muck, brush too thick to walk thru, that kind of thing. They are pretty neat and sure makes my job a lot easier these days. Before we got the drone, I'd have to rent a helicopter and do it that way. Which one disturbs less - the drone.

Have heard that folks use drones for scaring the game off - as mentioned with the drone and the duck club. In FL, one was shot down a few years back that was trying to ruin a dove hunt. The drone owner called LEO to protest the shooting of his drone and got a ticket for hunter harassment.

Whole lotta folks with no clue out there - if they think they can get up close and personal for a picture, they have no clue. If they are running the critters off to "save them" then they know what they are doing.

We have sandhills all over the place down here - they walk thru my moms yard a lot. Many hunters want to shoot em. Might be legal down here some day.

Reactions: Slugz and memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Man that really stinks to hear.

I wonder if it was someone trying to run them out of the field so he could hunt them where he could hunt them.....

I hate to think like that but thats the world we live in.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's sad but this is what we are going to have to live with being hunters and having to deal with either the non hunting public that wants to get pictures or those who want to keep us from shooting a animal or bird.

A number of years ago I was on a bison hunt in Utah and we had located a herd of around 30 or 40 bison that we could almost watch from our camping spot. The day before the hunt started we looked over at them and saw all of them running out of the area. Come to find out a non hunter had spotted them and wanted to get a closer picture so he hiked over to where they were at to get this picture. Once there he spooked the herd. I have no idea if he got his picture or not but we followed his footsteps right to the water hole that the bison were using.

Granted he wasn't using a drone but the same thing happened, the animals were spooked out of the area. However our hunter did manage to get a few shots at some bulls on opening day and missed all the shots at less than 100 yards. All we could figure was that he couldn't believe how close we got him to 3 bulls the size of Volkswagons.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
It's sad but this is what we are going to have to live with being hunters and having to deal with either the non hunting public that wants to get pictures or those who want to keep us from shooting a animal or bird.

A number of years ago I was on a bison hunt in Utah and we had located a herd of around 30 or 40 bison that we could almost watch from our camping spot. The day before the hunt started we looked over at them and saw all of them running out of the area. Come to find out a non hunter had spotted them and wanted to get a closer picture so he hiked over to where they were at to get this picture. Once there he spooked the herd. I have no idea if he got his picture or not but we followed his footsteps right to the water hole that the bison were using.

Granted he wasn't using a drone but the same thing happened, the animals were spooked out of the area. However our hunter did manage to get a few shots at some bulls on opening day and missed all the shots at less than 100 yards. All we could figure was that he couldn't believe how close we got him to 3 bulls the size of Volkswagons.
The general public has no idea what a wild animal is. On TV they talk and carry on, no fear of man.

Gotta feel for the guy who gets the tag and then cannot connect. Kinda like letting air out of a balloon.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
That’s unfortunate for you and your son. If it’s any consolation, I have been excited to try crane for a long time now. My son brought his 3 bird limit home from North Dakota, and it was good eating, but not really that different from a nice mallard. Perhaps more mild tasting, and I would definitely like to try it cooked a few different ways, but certainly didn’t knock my socks off.

JaffH_iii

Apr 3, 2022
It may be good to get up above the woods when scouting for moose, but I don't think it would be simple to locate game and know exactly where the animals are. A manned aircraft may fly for hundreds of kilometers in search of game. These weapons have a restricted range. I suppose it is typically line of sight. There is also no legislation prohibiting you from operating a drone in the forests. Just not when you're out on the hunt. Using a drone to hover about taking photographs while guns/weapons are back at camp would be entirely lawful regardless of what rule the MNR enacted? You're not going hunting if you don't have any weapons! If you're simply out shooting photographs and films and don't have any weapons, it's going to be difficult to get convicted. How many aqua-views are out there ice fishing right now? How many game cameras are there?