Draw Results for Wyoming!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Elk surveys are done during the first part of winter so they know what they want for tag numbers by January for the application period and then the draw in February. Deer and antelope surveys are done later on during late Winter and early Spring such that the application period is a lot longer. They also wait until the resident application period is done and do their elk draw along with the resident and NR draws for deer and antelope at the same time in late June. A lot of people think it's just so they can keep all the money and make interest off of it. but if that was the reason I would think they would also delay the NR elk draw until the other ones with all the money that involves.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think they have the NR elk draw quickly so people think they arent trying to keep their money. Having it so early they keep everyones money that drew alot longer then if the draw was later like deer and antelope and if they didnt want to keep your money any longer then they had to they woundnt close deer/antelope apps till May 15. LOL

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Does anyone know why it takes so long for the deer draw to be posted/completed and the Elk draw is fairly short? Just curious. Thanks, Matt.
The main reason given by the WGF is setting correct quotas for each area.

Elk quotas are set long before the application period. The elk surveys are done in late winter and early spring for the following year. This means that they are setting quotas for 2014 based on 2013 population surveys. They do this because they feel they need the drawing early enough so hunters know results before the application for other species is due.

January, February, and March are the best months GF has to conduct all surveys. They use most of April for compiling these surveys to determine each areas population. Then they need time to review carrying capacity for each area before setting actual quotas. Habitat changes and landowner changes play a role in quota setting. Waiting until the surveys are complete allows them to set very accurate quotas for deer and antelope. This is especially important with Antelope because of very high success rates annually. Elk success rates are typically low enough that quota mistakes don't have significant impacts in a typical year. If there was a large winter kill of elk in an area, hunter success rates would just drop considerably. If there was a huge antelope winter kill and they didn't change quotas, antelope numbers would suffer greatly because hunters can usually still find the remaining animals.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Antelope and Deer quotas are final and posted the last week of March. Public comments in April and Commission approval following that.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
The main reason given by the WGF is setting correct quotas for each area.

Elk quotas are set long before the application period. The elk surveys are done in late winter and early spring for the following year. This means that they are setting quotas for 2014 based on 2013 population surveys. They do this because they feel they need the drawing early enough so hunters know results before the application for other species is due.

January, February, and March are the best months GF has to conduct all surveys. They use most of April for compiling these surveys to determine each areas population. Then they need time to review carrying capacity for each area before setting actual quotas. Habitat changes and landowner changes play a role in quota setting. Waiting until the surveys are complete allows them to set very accurate quotas for deer and antelope. This is especially important with Antelope because of very high success rates annually. Elk success rates are typically low enough that quota mistakes don't have significant impacts in a typical year. If there was a large winter kill of elk in an area, hunter success rates would just drop considerably. If there was a huge antelope winter kill and they didn't change quotas, antelope numbers would suffer greatly because hunters can usually still find the remaining animals.
So... I get that it takes some time to set quotas for the individual areas. But why cant WY move the application deadline closer to the draw date?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So... I get that it takes some time to set quotas for the individual areas. But why cant WY move the application deadline closer to the draw date?
I'm sure the official answer would be to allow time to process the large numbers from all the different species... But I bet it has a little to do with the money.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Antelope and Deer quotas are final and posted the last week of March. Public comments in April and Commission approval following that.
Yer close. Antelope and deer quotas aren't final until the Commission approves the recommendations in early May. Elk quotas won't be final until then either. The G&F can also increase or decrease elk quotas after the non rezi draw subject to Commission approval. Public comments are also being taken during the March spring meetings when the G&F lays out the proposed quotas.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
The Commission won't change the Antelope or Deer seasons and quotas from the March numbers but in a rare occurrence, which makes them final for all practical purposes.
NR Elk quotas are final in Dec prior to the NR draw. What they do after the that draw has no affect on a NR other than creating left overs.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
I've seen them change quotas in the past, so why say they're final when they're not. Yep, yer correct non rezi quotas are final in December. However, all I said is they can change elk quotas after the non rezi draw which they've done the last couple years in a few areas to the benefit of a few residents...

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Looks like they dropped a lot of mule deer tags in some of the areas I was looking at. Including the area I put in for. I'd say my chances of drawing are slim now. Went from 250 to 150 tags.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Looks like they dropped a lot of mule deer tags in some of the areas I was looking at. Including the area I put in for. I'd say my chances of drawing are slim now. Went from 250 to 150 tags.

If the unit you put in for got cut that much and you don't think you can draw it, you can change to another one until June 3.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I am aware of that, but its complicated haha. We put in for the special draw and I'm not sure if there's another unit we could draw that would be worth the $$ in the SD. Based on my math (may not be correct on the % of tags issued) we are trying for 14 tags.

150 tags - of which 30% go to NR = 45 tags

45 tags of which 40% go to the SD with PPs = 13.5 tags

That sound correct?

We have 4 PPs. Its no big deal if we don't draw deer. We should draw our antelope tags and have a good time. Gain a 5th point for deer.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
And thanks for the heads up. That is a really cool part about the WY draw, being able to change course when they pull shenanigans like this haha!