Dog blind?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
What does everyone do to hide their dog while waterfowl hunting? My dog is visible from about 2 miles away lol...

Mine hates sitting under a dog tent so I make him a grass/brush blind at each setup. It's a pain so I'm looking for new ideas.

He does make a pretty good snow goose decoy in the spring lol.

Reactions: THelms

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
He prolly does stick out a little, haha. Next dog blind purchase for me is the MoMarsh InvisaLab. I currently have the Rogers Pooch Palace and an avery stand. The stand is a POS, not very stable. I don't mind the dog blind, but my dog isn't the biggest fan of it.. She'll go into it easy enough, but she'll slowly wiggle her way out, inches at a time. Within about 5 minutes, she's about 75% out of the blind. I usually end up keeping my blind bag in front of the door, to lock her in, it works pretty good.
I'm looking forward to getting the InvisaLab, it'll be awesome for shallow open water hunts, since I've moved away from hunting out of layout boats.

colohunter

May 25, 2016
I taught my pup a "place" command where she can sit back away from the blind underneath a tree or some other form of cover when hunting the river.

In the field she is in the layout blind with me tucked behind the seat. I know many guys think that is a dumb idea and think they'll shoot their dog when they open the blind but with the way my blind works I actually have to shift my weight to the side after shooting before she can squeak her shoulders through and leave the blind. It's a pretty slick setup.

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
That's why I went with a chocolate but I mostly hunt riverbottoms and the edges are thick. It's really easy to hide.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That's why I went with a chocolate but I mostly hunt riverbottoms and the edges are thick. It's really easy to hide.
My last was a chocalate. They are a lot easier to hide for sure. My wife loved this litter of white ones so I didn't have much say this go around. We visited the puppies 6 times before bringing one home.

Reactions: Winchester

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I dad a avery dog blind for my lab. They're some out there that have opening on both ends which I believe are easier on the dog.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Take a 10' piece EMT, cut in 1/2 and carefully bend it to a 1/2 radius. Take a piece of 4'x5' hog wire and tie it to the bent conduit on each side. Paint brown and you can tie you local brush to it. Cut 4 pieces of 1/2" rebar by 16" long and stick it in each end of the conduit and push the whole assembly into the ground. It will not move even in the strongest winds. What I use at my rice blind.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Take some "just for men" and give him racing stripes. lol My old lab stuck out like a sore thumb as well.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Take some "just for men" and give him racing stripes. lol My old lab stuck out like a sore thumb as well.
My sister owns a mobile dog grooming business and has been asked if she could dye a dogs hair. Everything from green for St. Pat's day, red/green for Christmas and of course hunting dogs. She has never tried it, afraid of the mess the dogs would make.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad's lab had a camo vest he bought for her. It was primarily to keep her warm after she was wet. His Lab was a desert dog and not used to really cold weather. I think he bought it a Cabela's.

Ethamor

Sep 20, 2021
I have a friend that has three beautiful dogs with black fur. It happened that one of them got injured in the eyes, and he got blind. They couldn't save him just because they didn't have the money for specific surgeries. This is so sad for me that money also play a role here. He deserved to live just like the rest of them. That's why I think it's essential to buy the insurance and maybe you can read about its benefits. https://www.petinsurancereview.com/is-pet-insurance-worth-itThis way, you are sure of the fact that regardless of what happens, you can save your pet or make him feel better.

Last edited: