Do You Pack a Spotting Scope?

Backcountry

Jun 25, 2012
N. Ca
A spotting scope and tripod are one of the heaviest items in my pack next to water and I am wondering if it is really worth that extra weight. Just curious what opinions you guys have.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think there are guys on here that would sooner leave their sleeping bag rather than their spotter... I think it really depends on terrain and species you are hunting. In some areas your hunt would really suffer if you didn't have one.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
It depends on the terrain, where I hunt elk a spotter would do you no good, you can't see very far so it stays home. When hunting mule deer I can see for miles and the spotter is a must then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
It all depends on terrain, open country with good vantage points, it's in my pack. Dark timber and such, it stays in the truck.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Really depends on the terrain, the species, the objective, the weapon and quite honestly; how far I am into the season and how much tolerance I have for the extra weight.

I am trying something a little different during rifle elk this season. Spotter will get a bunch of "park & spot use but it will stay behind. If all works as planned I'll carry my 15x50 swaro slc binoculars with a small tripod that I can mount them on for spotting. They are a little bulky for around - the -neck but manageable, and they are close enough to my spotter that I may be able to keep it to one set of glass.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Spotter always for me. Yes it's bulky in my pack but it's a must. There are some light weight spotters out there that are affordable you may want to consider that.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I think there are guys on here that would sooner leave their sleeping bag rather than their spotter... I think it really depends on terrain and species you are hunting. In some areas your hunt would really suffer if you didn't have one.
I agree with hilltop and I also think it depends on if you are after a trophy animal or not. Most times you will be able to tell a bull from a cow at long distances with 10x42 binos. You may not be able to tell how big the bull is but if you are meat hunting it wouldn't matter so there is much less need for a spotting scope. Now if you're trying to find a trophy bull and want to judge antler size I would say it is a must.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Ha ah that's pretty good Umpqua, if I can see long distances even if I'm meat hunting I still like my scope. Many times I've scanned the area over and over with my binocs and saw nothing, then I crank up the spotting scope looking at all the hidey holes and find animals I would have never saw with just my binocs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Always will, I like being able to get good close up looks on animals and make sure its one I want. I would rather carry the extra weight and be able to see game farther and clearer then not being able too

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I almost always pack mine. Unless I know I'm going on a quick look at a short distance, but even then it is worth taking. Where I hunt in the plains, a spotting scope is essential, just like hunting in the mountains. We are looking at animals from miles rather than yards so I'll never leave home without it... at least not on purpose.

predator_master223

Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I'm with Hilltop also. Most of the time you can tell if an elk is a bull or not, even then if its a big enough bull to pursue. Moose would be more of a terrain issue. Wide open Alaska is a different game then Shiras moose in Colorado or Wyoming. Game like trophy mule deer and antelope where ever inch matters and you need to save your legs, then a spotter is a necessity.

npaden

May 2, 2014
My spotter is an 82mm objective and currently gets left back at camp on a fairly regular basis. I'm typically hunting pretty dark timber for elk when that happens, although I have left it behind on a deep backcountry solo hunt for elk that did have some open terrain simply because of the weight. I was loaded up pretty heavy.

For those of you that have a 65mm scope, does it make it in the pack more often than if you had a larger one?

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
I always have my spotter. It is a little bulky but worth it in my opinion. I just bought a new leupold compact for my pack and I really like it. It fits nice and does not have as much weight as a regular spotter.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Spotter is always with me. Jumping up to 15x power to pick apart patches of trees and bedding areas is huge!

vince

Banned
Jul 10, 2012
A good spotting scope is next on my list. For now I use a set of 10 x 42 and 15 x 56 binoculars.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I have slightly revised my opinion on this topic because of a new method I have been trying and has worked really well this hunting season. Instead of taking my heavy and bulky spotting scope (which stays in the truck just in case) I take my 10x42 binos with a tripod adapter (and tripod of course) and I have found that this is very effective method to glass far away game animals because the tripod holds the binos so steady, it takes care of most glassing needs, saves weight, and is effective.