DeLorme In Reach explorer

kiddwinner

Jun 24, 2013
Cody, Wyoming
Has anyone had any experience with the DeLorme In Reach explorer or SE? I had a SPOT and the thing never worked when I was in the mountains... Any help is appreciated!

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I bought a In-reach SE this year and used it in the Colorado Wilderness this year for two weeks. I have used the spot for the last 3 years before I switched over and I would not go back. Bottom line is I REALLY like my In-reach. With the new plans you can pay your yearly fee and suspend service when you don't need it. So I used it for my trip then suspended service until I need it again.

All the messages I sent went through and I really like it because you know they made it. With the Spot there is no confirmation your message made it. There was a couple times I had to wait 5 minutes or so to complete its sending but most of the time it went pretty quick.

In the morning I would turn it on while getting dressed and a message would show up from my wife. Every night before she went to sleep she would send me the weather forecast for my day. During the day I would send a couple pre-set messages saying I was OK and when I was back at camp eating dinner I would sent a brief one on the day. I also had a packer on stand by and if I took a elk my wife would call and give them my GPS Coordinates. I would keep it off and turn it on to send my messages and recieve any I had then turn it back off and the battery lasts a long time this way. If you set it up to track you then you will need a way to charge it every couple days (solar)

Bottom line it is the best thing I have bought in a long time for hunting. Very affordable and I cant see why I would never carry one. It blows away the Spot in every aspect and doesn't cost anywhere near a Sat phone.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Couple other things I forgot to mention.

Every message comes with a link and the person viewing it can click on the it. They will get a aerial photo of where the message was send (Google earth) and they can zoom right in. It also saves all your messages so when you get back you can click on the important links and view the maps.

You can also communicate with another In-reach so if your hunting with a partner and have no cell service you still can communicate with them. This can save a ton of time if someone gets something or if something comes up.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks for the info Don K. I was curious about the In-Reach, and was considering an upgrade from my SPOT. The Spot has always worked for me in northern Manitoba, Ontario, MN, CO, and WY. I only get marginal cell coverage where I live, so do you send messages to your e-mail?

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
You send messages to a contact and that can be email or a text message to a phone number. You get preset messages just like the spot and send a unlimited amount of them. You can then send custom messages and the amount of them depends on what package you have, You can also post on Twitter or Facebook if you wish. You can control who can contact you (to keep your rates down) and they can send you messages and can control who can see what your posting and where your at.

The thing i really hated about the Spot was you hoped the message made it through. With the In-reach you get a confirmation and you know it made it. I like having custom messages and like being able to receive them.

My honest opinion is this will make Spot obsolete unless they come up with something better.

You can get some real good deals on the In-reach if you look around.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Yep like sab says the SE is the base model.

I linked my to my phone and used that for sending texts as it easier to type. You don't have to use the phone but its easier to use. Also they have a app you can download on the phone that will has Topo maps you can link up with.

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011
I've used a gen 2 SPOT for years and it has served me well. That being said I got a Delorme Inreach Explorer for Christmas. Looking forward to the added flexibility.