Dang Birds!!

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Well spent 3 days searching for toms, unlike last year we didn’t get much response, but after a long hike Friday morning with no action drove up the road and wouldn’t ya know it a Tom and 4 hens right on roads edge, so got wife out hoping for her to get her first Tom, which neither of us has done yet, I figured we would let them get off the road aways to be legal but guess what those things can move lol and off they went not offering any shot. Now we new where some where, let the area be and came back the next morning, called and got response but they moved away again and his gobble just kept getting further away!! Haha and I’ve heard turkeys are dumb. Pretty smart dumb birds!!

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
So my question is , since they pushed back the opener, are the Toms hen’d up and not so vocal ? Last year we were 10 days earlier and seemed like the Toms were fired up until nature walkers put a dampener on the action. And it’s a pretty long season still, so will Toms be callable clear until end of season ? Late May ? Not sure we will make it back out as it’s time to start the spring bear gig but just in case lol, Looking forward to next spring already to try and figure these things out lol!!

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Around here the hens are running off to lay mid morning and coming back off about 3:00 pm give or take an hour or so. Some may be just starting to set. I do better on birds around 10 to 4. If you can find a gobbler or 2 that went to roost without hens they will come in first thing sometimes too! I've called clear up until season ends May 31, but IMO it gets a lot tougher after the first week of May, or so.

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley