Costal Season 2011

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Well as luck would have it, I hook up on a nice blacktail. Had a 48 yard, hard downhill angle shot. The only thing that went wrong was something drug him off into a fern patch, and ate his ass end out. I am sure it was a cat, becasue he was barried in the fern patch, in a small drainage. Over all he wentabout 70 yards, and I shot him at last light, so I came back for him in the morning. Good thing about blacktails, you can stuff one into your pack and hike out.

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5475.jpg

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Nice buck Firearrow!!!
A couple of years ago my friend shot a buck on opening day with his bow. He hit it a little back and within minutes he heard a bear grab the deer. He waited about an hour to go look for it. When he and another friend found the deer the bear was still on it and had already eaten everything from the middle back to the hind quarters.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I was up out of Healdsberg, on Gloden Ram property. Pig hunting was tough this year. There was a round up, and that scattered the hogs all over the place.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Nice looking buck....I can't believe how dark he looks. I haven't hunted blacktail before, looks fun
He is dark because the cat stuffed him into some ferns in a small creek drainage. He casued the water to back up a little and got a bath, so that's why he looks like that. At this time of the year they have a reddish color to them. Some of his hair has already started to shed, just a little bit here and there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there is no slippage on the hide, and that the guys at the tannery are nice to it. I want to use the original hide for the mount. Will wait a few days for the rack to freeze solid to protect the velvet, and put some wire to it and get a green score just for fun.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
How many points does it take to draw this season..?
What, if any, are the restrictions for non-residents on this season..?
This is a OTC tag, and there are no restrictions. The only draw back is that most of the land out there to hunt blacktails is private, and people charge a butt load O money to hunt them. There are public land spots out there. I can tell ya for the most part we hunt the costal season in mid to high 90 degree, if not 100 degree during the day. Most of the deer movement is early morning, and late, late evening. I know in Oregon, you can hunt them in the rut, but we can not. If you want to, you can hunt blacktails during our inl;and season, which is Aug, and I would look at google earth in the Trinites. Be prepared to hike some MILES in the back country, and yo will see deer. If you hunt this area it is a B zone tag, and is over the counter.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Very nice buck! Where you hunting private property?

I had the same thing happen when hunting deer & elk. I shot a mulie buck at 25yds and immediatley heard a an elk bugle at the other end of the little opening where the deer was feeding. I ran about 40yds an bugled the bull came in at 35yds I made a perfect shot it had only been 8 minutes since I shot the buck. By the time I got the elk out it was 1:30am in the morning I was 2 miles back in. I figured I could came back in the morning for the deer, but the yotes beat me too it and ate the back quarters. Next time I'll leave an piece of clothing on the animal if I don't have time to bring it out. Lesson learned!