Comps for S E Montana?

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
So, I hunted Southeast Montana for mule deer last year n had a fantastic time. Going back this year.
What I found was:
1 Can hunt every year
2 Lots n lots of deer
3 Tons of (gentle) ground for a public hunter
What I've been wondering is, are there other states where a comparable experience can be had? As in, a tag every yr or two, lots of deer, lots of relatively gentle public ground?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Not asking much are you? ;)

Most of Utah hunting areas are fairly rugged unless you are a road hunter. Some areas you can hunt every couple of years while others would be more like every 3 or 4.

Colorado is the same as Utah in the terrine but there are quite a few areas where you can hunt every year. But the areas are not gentle.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I threw my money down on a deer combo as well. I've only driven through the eastern half of the state, can't wait to hunt there.

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
I threw my money down on a deer combo as well. I've only driven through the eastern half of the state, can't wait to hunt there.
You'll have a great time, I know i did.
Was just wondering if an experience like that was unique to Montana, or if it could be found elsewhere.
It reminds me alot of our Shawnee National forest in Southern Illinois for whitetails.
A tag every yr, lots of deer, lots of ground. Not the biggest deer around, but lots of em ��

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Sure...come to Colorado, bring your checkbook. Buy a big spread for several million and hunt every year with a landowner tag.:cool:
Hmmmm. Not sure what post you are responding to. You must have been looking at the "spend a million on a ranch n hunt every year" thread.
For clarity, this is the draw a tag every year n hunt public ground thread. With lots of deer ��
But thanks anyway.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hmmmm. Not sure what post you are responding to. You must have been looking at the "spend a million on a ranch n hunt every year" thread.
For clarity, this is the draw a tag every year n hunt public ground thread. With lots of deer ��
But thanks anyway.
Just making a joke....OK!