Compass

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
What does everyone carry for a compass? Is there any advantages to any of them?

I've had a couple cheap wallyworld ones and they end up broke after awhile, so I'm looking for something with quality.

Thanks,
newguy220

Mustang06

Sep 1, 2013
Pennsylvania
Silvah Ranger or a Suunto. Used them for 15 years in the US Army infantry and in my civilian career as a forester for the last 12 years. Darn near indestructible and adjustable for declination. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Silvah Ranger or a Suunto. Used them for 15 years in the US Army infantry and in my civilian career as a forester for the last 12 years. Darn near indestructible and adjustable for declination. Can't go wrong with either of them.
What he said!! They are hard to beat.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My primary compass is in my Garmin GPS ... works great. Like "CC" I also have one in my Casio watch and sometimes carry an old Military Style Lensatic Compass left over from Ranger School as a backup (doesn't need batteries).

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I am not sure of the brand, but I have a simple rugged plastic one attached to my pack. I navigate almost exclusively by landmarks and GPS, but my compass is my back-up plan.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Same here I keep a Suunto attached to the inside of my pack with a map as a backup.
I am not sure of the brand, but I have a simple rugged plastic one attached to my pack. I navigate almost exclusively by landmarks and GPS, but my compass is my back-up plan.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I carry the Army compass in the little canvas pack it was in when my Dad used it in WWII. It's just for a backup and I know it will be there and functional if my GPS goes kaput!

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I carry the Army compass in the little canvas pack it was in when my Dad used it in WWII. It's just for a backup and I know it will be there and functional if my GPS goes kaput!
TG '06, That's the same compass I have ... it's been through alot and will continue to work fine for a long, long time. Great for a GPS backup.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Although purely a backup to my GPS, the one I carry is a Brunton Pocket Transit. Maybe a little overkill but they are super accurate and you can triangulate your position off of a quad map with landmarks to within a 200 acre area or so if you know how to use it. It's kind of fun to navigate terrain like that. :)

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
My primary compass is in my Garmin GPS ... works great. Like "CC" I also have one in my Casio watch and sometimes carry an old Military Style Lensatic Compass left over from Ranger School as a backup (doesn't need batteries).
Me like….I do the same. When I went through pathfinder I was introduced to the Suunto compasses which are great for plotting off of maps, but they never fully replaced my tritium lit, lensatic compass. I have used that thing from calling in artillery in AFG to navigating the black timber hunting elk.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Me like….I do the same. When I went through pathfinder I was introduced to the Suunto compasses which are great for plotting off of maps, but they never fully replaced my tritium lit, lensatic compass. I have used that thing from calling in artillery in AFG to navigating the black timber hunting elk.
Yep, the lensatic compass is an oldie but a goodie. Can't go wrong with one, even though I primarily use my GPS these days.

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
I need one once in awhile when the gps can't get enough satellites to give me an accurate reading, but it will tell you what heading you need to go.

Jim, I'm surprised you coast guys don't run into this problem more.

Thanks everyone
newguy220

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I carry a small one, mainly to use as a backup to the GPS failure but I also use it just to get a quick mark or line instead of turning on the GPS and having to wait on start up. I don't have the GPS on all the time typically and just use the GPS more to mark waypoints or points of interest I come across or to get to a location I'm unfamiliar with or trying to get to off trail track or way points I made/plotted for the first time.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I carry a small one with a cover that snaps closed. Must be liquid filled. It just has a little red pointer to help set a target. I have no training on the "proper" use of a compass. These are just the basics that work for me. I would agree it only comes out at night during map time, or when the GPS batts die.