Colorado Unit 851 elk

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Has anyone hunted this unit and if so what kind of bulls are taken there? My son is looking to finalize application and this unit is one he is considering. Always a crap shoot when it comes to where to hunt as he has to many points (21) to waste and not enough to hunt the NW corner units.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Most likely with rifle but muzzy is possible.
You want ONLY the latest rifle season for that tag and with 21 as a nonresident you likely don't have enough. I had 23 a few years ago and didn't have enough after Huntin Fool listed it in their mag.

On the right year, the next to latest rifle hunt could be good, but that is a bit of a gamble.

Do NOT do the early hunts unless something has really changed in the last few years. My friend had the muzzy tag a few years ago and hated it. You want the latest dates possible as that is a bull wintering area for surrounding private ranches.

With 21 points on a DIY hunt, I would do the best hunt you can draw in 61. That's where I used my points. With a guide, Unit 40 on private.

Last edited:

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks Umpqua for your insight and suggestions. The three units you listed 40 guided, 61 diy and 851 are the same three we have on our list. Just want to be able to have a fun hunt with my son before this age thing get the best of me.

We have spent a fair amount of time in unit 61 and certainly would hunt it in first rifle or muzzle loader but not so sure about any of the other seasons. I followed your post of hunt in 61 and know you had a great time with your wife on that hunt. It is so much fun to hunt elk during the rut.

Looking at 2017 stat. Unit 40 muzzle loader would be a sure draw.
Unit 40 1st rifle would probably be two years to draw.
Unit 61 Early rifle would probably be four years to draw.
Unit 61 1st rifle would be about 50% chance to draw.
Unit 851 4th season would be 3-4 years to draw.

If you were to do Unit 40 guided who would you hunt with? I know a do it yourself hunt in that unit would be tough without allot of time to scout it.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
If you were to do Unit 40 guided who would you hunt with? I know a do it yourself hunt in that unit would be tough without allot of time to scout it.
From what I have seen Unit 40 has some of the best bulls in the state. I have not closely researched an outfitted hunt in Unit 40 but the two outfitter names I have heard of the most are Steve Biggerstaff and Mike Lawson. You would need to check them out on your own as I can't say one way or the other, I simply haven't followed them closely.

http://www.biggerstaffguides.com

http://gotrophyclassoutfitters.com

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I did a unit 61 muzzle loader hunt and had a blast, that is until it came time to pack out my elk. We saw a lot of elk but a lot of them were also down in the bottom of the canyons.

If you want to check into a guided hunt in 61 I would recommend Garvey Brothers. They have been in the unit for a long time and have horses to get your elk out, which can be a big plus.

I can't help much on a unit 40 as far as outfitters. But my taxidermist in Grand Junction would possibly have the names of a few that could help you out. The biggest problem with unit 40 is all the private that is in it along with access.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
does anybody know how much public access there is in unit 851? heard a lot of it is the "hill" ranch.also was wondering if nm unit 52 borders it to the south of it?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I did a unit 61 muzzle loader hunt and had a blast, that is until it came time to pack out my elk. We saw a lot of elk but a lot of them were also down in the bottom of the canyons.

If you want to check into a guided hunt in 61 I would recommend Garvey Brothers. They have been in the unit for a long time and have horses to get your elk out, which can be a big plus.
What Jim says is true. I only saw one other hunter once I balled off the top into the canyon I was hunting.

Garveys do a great job as do the Weimers. I hired the Weimers uncle to pack my bull out. Best $400 I spent on the trip.