Colorado unit 61 1st rifle

Yooper Bob

Feb 18, 2012
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Well after 18 yrs my friend and I drew col. unit 61 1st rifle tags.I am new to the forum,just learning how it works.I have hunted in col. many times on wilderness backpack hunts but never near 61.If any members would be kind enough to share info it would be greatly appreciated .Thank You Yooper Bob

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I plan to draw the muzzleloader tag in Unit 61 in a couple years. The advice I keep hearing is there are elk literally everywhere on that unit. I would just call the biologist and get a few areas pinned down. Also if you are willing to spend $100 and get a membership with Huntin Fool, they will send you a list of members who have drawn the unit. I would bet you would get 20 or more names on that list, as I have seen many members that have drawn that unit.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but after 18 years you haven't researched the unit?
Old Hunter....I have heard similar comments on this forum and other forums, and it's really not necessary...don't you agree?

A lot of guys, including me, apply in multiple states for multiple species, only applying for premium tags. Many of these tags we will never draw in our lifetime. Some of these tags take 15 to 20 years and we will hunt the unit one time during our lifetime. I apply for around 40 different hunts each year, and it would be nearly impossible to have thoroughly researched each of these units to the point I am ready to pack up the truck and head out on the hunt, so I understand why Yooper Bob is asking for help. Personally, I hunt a new area, out of state, virtually every year and am successful 85%+ of the time on premium tags. I do the basic research on the front end (trophy quality, success, public access, terrain type, style of hunt it will require) but then after I draw I have to do the more detailed research (drainage will I hunt, where I will camp, access points, etc). This type of research after the draw can be done quite effectively on premium limited entry hunts. A big reason for that is most guys realize they will never hunt the unit again and are quite wiling to share what they learned. Had I hunted Unit 61 for elk, I would certainly share detailed information in a private message, or a phone call with one guy each season.

Another thing that could be a factor in not having researched the unit...a lot of guys who are in that 16-20 point range have been applying for Unit 201, 2 and 10, and realize they have many many more years to draw in the NW corner due to point creep, so they are electing to draw Unit 61. I have 21 points after this year, and I am seriously thinking of using them on a Unit 61 muzzleloader tag for that reason.

Yooper Bob...one thing I might suggest...pick a couple good hunting forums and post occasionally on them, and build a relationship with the other members. Often forum members have a hard time when someone comes on and in their very first post asks about hunting a unit they just drew. On the other hand if you have built a rapport, members are far more willing to share info.

Last edited:

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Just a little pet peeve of mine. Joining a forum, and have your 1st post asking where to hunt is not going to get an answer from me. In 60 years of hunting I have never asked for advice on where to hunt. I consider that part of hunting, and I don't want someone else doing it for me. This is including when I came to Colorado when I lived in another state.

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I tried not to be rude, but I find it impossible to not say something. The devil makes me do it. :)

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I think talking to people that have been there IS researching a unit. I have helped, and been helped. I don't mind helping somebody out, if I kind of get to know them. I think UH's last paragraph is well said. I also happen to agree with OH, that asking for advice in a first post is a bit bold.

To the OP, I am sorry, but I can't help you with that unit. I haven't been there. Welcome to EF, and stick around a while.

Yooper Bob

Feb 18, 2012
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Thank you Umpqua Hunter everything you said was correct,I was saving points for unit 2,even hunted mule deer there to scout but at 65 may never draw.Of course I have been researched 61 my friend hunted there 4yrs ago and gave me good info.I talked to Brad Banulis at D.O.W and got more info.I know something but not everything,my research wont stop until I am actually hunting.I have hunted the west for years and always do my own applications ,research,and hunting

llp

Mar 15, 2011
I would be happy to point you in the right direction. My wife drew a tag a while ago and we had a great hunt. You almost have to have ATV's to access some parts of the unit, with well established trails closed to full size vehicles. Drop me a note and I'll get more specific.
llp