Colorado Snow Chain laws

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
Heading out for my first late season hunt this fall - 3rd rifle season. Will be in a 4 wheel drive GMC truck, will I be required to have snow chains in the vehicle?

thanks

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
ok so what I think I found online is no requirement for 4 wheel drive trucks with tires that have at least 1/8'' of tread life.

But to CC's point probably a good idea to have some available.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The chain law is for both. If your vehicle spins out and blocks traffic on the passes you can be ticketed no matter what you are driving. But they concentrate on big rigs.

However don't worry about it. But I would be packing a set of chains and tow straps and chains whenever I left the pavement from September on. You can get a small storm that only puts down a half a inch or one that dumps 3' overnight.

I actually have a chain box that I put in my truck when I am headed hunting. I it a .50 caliber machine gun round box. It has chains for all my tires, tow chains, jumper cables, fire starting material and matches along with a few other items. It is to the point that I have a hard time lifting it up to the tailgate of my truck.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
In the last couple years the law has since become known as the traction law and you are correct about the tread depth. As long as you have four wheel drive and adequate tread you will be fine over the major passes. Just like everyone else is saying though, always a good idea to have the chains with you!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And by chains we mean chains and not those flimsy cables that wrap around the tires and fly off at the first opportunity.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
It's not a requirement but I don't go anywhere here without my chains packed. One good rainstorm turns the clay mud to the slipperiest stuff you ever saw. Cheap insurance.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Chains are a must have item in the fall and winter, snow is the least of the trouble you can get in to.....dry dusty roads can and most likely will turn into axle grease after a good shower. Personally I have chained up way more for muddy conditions than I ever have for snow....

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
Chains are a must have item in the fall and winter, snow is the least of the trouble you can get in to.....dry dusty roads can and most likely will turn into axle grease after a good shower. Personally I have chained up way more for muddy conditions than I ever have for snow....
Yep, me too!

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I thrown my chains in the pick-up for the 1st of Sept. dove hunt and they stay in there until small game season closes in Feb. which is usually my last outing into the hills.
I can count the number of times I've had to chain up due to snow on one hand over the last 35+ years but I would have been totally screwed if I hadn't had them. About the same number of times for slick mud.
If you decide to buy chains make sure they fit your pick-up tires in the driveway before you head out. Get the best tensioners you can find, it's not possible to get your chains too tight on you tires. Loose chains will lead to damage in a hurry.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The best tensioners I have found are just plain old black bungee cords. Get them long enough so that you can put them in a V, two straps per tire. I also agree on learning on how to put them on in your driveway. You can do it without jacking up the wheel but it is handy if you have a short 2x6 boards to drive up on to help on the bottom.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I too have them with me from September on. I also carried chains with me all the years I lived in Arizona. Those monsoons would hit northern Az and the ground turned into a skating rink. Slick clay like. Chains saved me many times in that slop....

*Bring real chains*

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Cat..X2 red clay in N.Az. is slicker N'Snot and sticks to everything.I've had to throw away clothes do to red clay stains.:cool:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Just wanted to add an "amen" to the tensioner/bungee-cord comment above. The in-line tensioners on a lot of chain kits are often the weak links. A couple crossed bungee-cords can make a huge difference.

I've only been here a few years but I've used my chains only once in snow but 4 times in mud. I carry them even in summer. A flash flood o some BLM land in the high plains? You never know what you're gonna run into here.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I carry them every trip also for both the truck and UTV when it goes. I seldom use them but have been glad to have them when I did need them. Patience can be a virtue too, some of the roads I've been on in Wyoming get really nasty with a brief hard rain but the rain will soak away in 30 minutes. Sometimes I figure that is a good time to walk up a rise and glass (once my vehicle is not blocking the road) or catch a power nap. If I can avoid putting the chains on and removing them plus hunt or catch up on the sleep I'm missing to make me more effective hunting later I call that a win.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Just keeping it real... I've hunted in Colorado for 30 years now. I've carried chains in the past. I've used them a total of "0" times. Probably better to have them and not need them though. I wouldn't;t personally worry about it if your hunting in September.