Colorado OTC elk tags

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Hello, direction needed. I am a Colorado native born in Longmont and currently live in Az. I am a bow and rifle hunter and have plans to perhaps purchase OTC Elk tag for archery or second season rifle. In ones opinion as a resident of Colorado as a bow and rifle hunter for elk what units might be good to try for a first timer in the state?? Thank you for your input.

elkhunter1988

Feb 4, 2012
Montrose, Co
I bow hunt every year in Colorado. Unit 62 is a huge unit with plenty of access that would make a great starting point. There is a lot more pressure during the rifle seasons than the archery season. Either way you go there is no shortage of area to explore.

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
I think archery is your best bet this is my first year as a non resident to my home state of colorado. There is a lot of areas you can hunt i would first figure on the type of terrain you would like to see on your hunt. I have hunted 16-17-171-18-19-28-37-86 of my life time and find great success in area 86 and 16 for archery in the first 15 days of the season hope this helps if you have any questions pm me

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I bow hunt every year in Colorado. Unit 62 is a huge unit with plenty of access that would make a great starting point. There is a lot more pressure during the rifle seasons than the archery season. Either way you go there is no shortage of area to explore.
Agreed, the 2nd rifle season is a circus. I refuse to hunt the second rifle season in any OTC or easy to draw unit unless I am hunting private ground. Plus the weather second season is generally pretty mild which makes for warm and crunchy hunting conditions. If you are not worried about deer try to draw a 1st or 4th rifle tag for a bull if you want rifle. If not archery is a good game. P.M me if you have any more questions.

Last edited: