Colorado GMU 74 archery mule deer

hferrin701

Mar 2, 2014
Anybody hunted this unit with some success? Early Archery. Any suggestions on areas? It looks like all the alpine basins have a hiking or jeep trails to them. Im looking to backpack in high and avoid tourists.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Well, I can tell you this. Unit 74 encompasses two different counties; La Plata & San Juan. In researching the P&Y and B&C record books, over 95% of the entries from this unit are from La Plata County.

hferrin701

Mar 2, 2014
Yes I have read the same. La Plata is where Im headed. I was looking to backpack into areas with several basins i could hunt over a week and it doesnt like theres two consecutive without a jeep trail up to it. I was hoping to avoid these areas although im sure the deer are used to it by now. Kinda takes the fun out of "backpacking" though

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Most all basins that are in 74 and above timberline will not have a jeep trail up to them. You will get away from all jeep trails just by going over the first ridge.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am very familiar with unit 74 as it is only about 30 miles from my homeplace. I have hunted it numerous times, exclusively for elk. In my view the unit can be divided into 3 parts. First is the southern/central part, which is the closest to Durango. Then there is ths northeastern part which is east of Hwy 550 the West Needle Mts in the Weminuche Wilderness area. The northern part is around Silverton and is high country with several 14ers there.

The largest part (southern/central) is divided in half by the Hermosa Creek drainage. It gets the most hunters and the trailheads are used a lot by outfitters. The West Needle has the least access and as a wilderness area, the fewest hunters. The area around Silverton has lots of access as it is old mining country. It is really high country.

Get the San Juan NF map. During the early season, most of the NF camps will be open with campground hosts there. When the hosts leave for the winter, usually by October, they will be closed. September is still our monsoon season so be prepared for rain, thunder and lightning.

If you have specific questions, PM me.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
There is a guy on this forum that smoked a big velvet muley with his bow in 74. He said it came from 75 but pictures don't lie, everyone triers to protect their honey holes! I have enough points for the high country buck tag. I spent a day last week talking to some locals and drove the highway to figure out the access into this country. I am probably going to look at it hard this august and if it is decent, I may put in for the tag next year. Unless, of course, the Colo P&W doesn't do something to their next 5 year plan and screw up my pref. points