Colorado deer suggestions

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
I know everyone hates these threads, but Ill add to them. Sorry.

I have 9 points (non res) for colorado deer and elk. Every year Ive been chasing a 3rd or 4th season tag and looking at what I can do to maximize my points. Over the years, and I cant remember off the top of my head, I have tried some units in the 50's, 60's and 70's. And every year with point creep im just out of the points needed.

No I have never hunted Colorado. Ive been reading through my Eastmans Journals from the last 3 years, and I got the new one yesterday and have not had the chance to start reading yet, but where do I start with units? I wont lie, I want the best buck I can get. Everyone wants to hit the 200" mark and so do I. But I also want to have a fun hunt looking over lots of deer and having a chance at a great buck. Any suggestions on a unit?

Thanks to all and good luck in the draws.

Landon

Last edited:

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
Well, I think I'd like to stick to the 3rd or 4th season rifle. But if there was a 2nd season tag that was great, maybe Id give that a whirl. I have muzzy hunted, but not confident in my muzzy skills (loads, grains, etc..). I love archery hunting and is my main thing. But when it comes to the money invested, I'd like to get a rifle tag and then return to archery hunting and hunt more often.

Thanks!

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
I have narrowed down my search to the following units 3rd season.

54 40 30

Does anybody have any info willing to share on which one and why? Or past experience with any of these 3 units.

Thanks, Landon

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Not sure I'd use points in a 54 3rd tag. From the research I did 2 years ago, I dropped that unit quick. I burned 9 points last year on a 2nd season tag. Had a great hunt, no regrets and would do it again. If you'd like into, feel free to PM me.

hferrin701

Mar 2, 2014
I am also a non resident. I have applied for Colorado archery only twice and gotten drawn both times. No points.

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
Well, I went with a unit that took 6 points last year and this year it took more than 9. As I did not draw my tag. Dang the luck. POINT CREEP AT ITS BEST!!! Good luck to all those that drew colorado deer.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Drive to Colorado a few days before the season your looking at and spend a week looking for a giants. You have spent 9 years already trying to get a tag spend some time finding a buck. Most people that know where a 200" buck is won't tell you. You have to find them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have no idea of how many points they take since I haven't thought about them much but look at the early high country rifle hunts. They are in September and most of the unit that is included in it is above tree line where the monsters like to hang out at.

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
I have no idea of how many points they take since I haven't thought about them much but look at the early high country rifle hunts. They are in September and most of the unit that is included in it is above tree line where the monsters like to hang out at.
I've heard those monsters hang out right above your house ! LOL ! :rolleyes: That's the tag I want.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've heard those monsters hang out right above your house ! LOL ! :rolleyes: That's the tag I want.
I actually ran into a buck that would of gone over 200 inches right above my house one year when I had a 4th season deer tag. I watched him for a week and found him the day before the season opened and backed out of his area before he knew I was there. The next morning I went in and there were truck and 4 wheeler tracks going into the draw that he hung out in, I never saw him again. He was either poached the night before the hunt started or flew out of there. There was also another buck that would of went around 180 and he disappeared the same night. I ended up with a huge 3x4 that went over 300 lbs live weight and even when I had him cleaned I couldn't drag him on the snow and I am 6'4" and 230 lbs.

But there are still huge bucks around here. A friends buddy shot one last year during the 2nd season that had 9 pts on one side and 11 on the other with a 30" outside spread. He shot him as he was headed to the golf course for dinner right at dark and they didn't find him until the next morning.

But you can figure 20+ points to draw that late season tag for a NR and 15+ for 2nd season for a NR.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
No trespass fee, they were all on BLM ground and available to all that have tags. If you look at a B&C record book for Colorado a lot of the bigger typical bucks came from unit 44. And if you talk to a lot of the old timers a lot of the bucks came off of the same area that I saw that big buck.

The poaching around here does get out of hand every now and then.

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
No trespass fee, they were all on BLM ground and available to all that have tags. If you look at a B&C record book for Colorado a lot of the bigger typical bucks came from unit 44. And if you talk to a lot of the old timers a lot of the bucks came off of the same area that I saw that big buck.

The poaching around here does get out of hand every now and then.
My avatar buck was taken above your house... maybe even within sight of it anyway. Ahhhh... back in the day. I will never get that tag again. I'm too old to play the points game. Should have moved to Gypsum back in the 80's.

BleuBijou

Oct 14, 2012
Colorado
Unit 54 had significant winter kill this year. I'd look at 30 or 40.
I don't think this is good information..The fawn crop was a little higher than normal winter mortality, but the Mature deer did fine or were Normal as far as the Winter mortality goes. Didn't see it when I was there in January and locals that don't live in town have not seen what you describe. I spoke with the Area Biologist and he is the one who gave me the higher than normal Fawn mortality.They all went into the Winter in better than average shape from the good forage that was available, which was a blessing. It will never get back to pre 07-08 numbers because the CPW thinks that number was too high and they will manage it for lower densities of deer then 07-08.

hoshour

Veteran member
I don't think this is good information..The fawn crop was a little higher than normal winter mortality, but the Mature deer did fine or were Normal as far as the Winter mortality goes. Didn't see it when I was there in January and locals that don't live in town have not seen what you describe. I spoke with the Area Biologist and he is the one who gave me the higher than normal Fawn mortality.They all went into the Winter in better than average shape from the good forage that was available, which was a blessing. It will never get back to pre 07-08 numbers because the CPW thinks that number was too high and they will manage it for lower densities of deer then 07-08.
I'm glad to hear that. That was info I passed on from someone else. Should have checked it out myself first. I'm glad you talked to the biologist and got the straight scoop. It always pays to check multiple sources.

Last edited:

BleuBijou

Oct 14, 2012
Colorado
No worries hoshour!! I think if it hadn't warmed up at the right time and another storm hit it could of ended up like last time. Snow was deep and starting to get above the sage when I was there and if it would of started to crust up or get deeper bad things were in store..I did see some nice bucks together. I was told there was a bunch of nice ones across the bridge, which I think is in 67 down by the road, but I didn't get over there to take any pic's..

hoshour

Veteran member
I remember the winters of 1982-83 and 1983-84.

1982 was the year a Christmas eve snowstorm dropped 3 feet in one day on Denver. The next winter started out with an ever bigger bang when Crested Butte got 126 inches of snow in December, the second highest they have ever recorded in a single month. That set things up for really bad winter kill.

I used to drive through the Gunnison Valley every two weeks on my rounds, covering the CO mountain towns for a medical distributor out of Denver. Safeway brought up one trailer after another with alfalfa pellets. I would count elk and deer by the hundreds right off the road, staying alive on that feed. I don't know how many died that weren't there, but that was some winter.

Last edited: