Colorado Deer for 2016

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Like many others on this forum I will be burning my 22pp for deer this year. I have researched allot of areas and seem to be more confused as I go. Since it is a once in a life time tag I would like to get the best hunt for quality and enjoyment that is possible. I have considered units 2, 201, 44. and 142 and would welcome all comments on what to do. Has the the snow been a problem yet or does it look like just a normal winter kill?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I don't know that there is anyone on the forum with 22 points. ;) You will almost certainly draw whatever tag you apply for.

I would be careful with Unit 2 and 201 unless you know some specifics, I just haven't heard that the quality is there to justify the points. It's a fun hunt, just know that you will be hunting the quality of bucks you have waited 22 years for.

I've heard very good reports on 44, but it's not a slam dunk but still very good.

Personally I have never seen a big buck pic from 142, but that's just me.

I would throw some of the "new" Gunnison basin 4th season tags into your equation. By "new" I mean last year was the first year since 2007 that those units have had 4th season tags, so this generation of bucks has not wised up to the late dates. Check out 55, 66, and 67. Nice thing here is Gunnison is a great town to stay in and some of these areas are less than 1/2 hour drive from there. The biggest buck I have ever seen was on a 4th season hunt in one of these units. Check on the winter kill because this area was hit hard with snow.

If I were in your shoes I would look at 44 most seriously, then the Gunnison units.

If I had 22 points I would spend $100 on a Huntin Fool membership, read the recent Colorado write-up and have a phone call with EVERY one of their consultants and ask them what is their dream unit in Colorado.

After burning your points, call the biologist in the unit you draw in June or July and ask about the winter kill. If it is concerning, TURN YOUR TAG BACK IN. Take it from experience.

One more small piece to take into account, its not huge, but I do believe it has an effect on daylight movement, in 2016 you have a full moon during the 4th season and 2017 the moon is almost dark. On my elk tag I waited one year after the season dates shifted to burn my 23 elk points.

Last edited:

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I don't know that there is anyone on the forum with 22 points. ;) You will almost certainly draw whatever tag you apply for.

I would be careful with Unit 2 and 201 unless you know some specifics, I just haven't heard that the quality is there to justify the points. It's a fun hunt, just know that you will be hunting the quality of bucks you have waited 22 years for.

I've heard very good reports on 44, but it's not a slam dunk but still very good.

Personally I have never seen a big buck pic from 142, but that's just me.

I would throw some of the "new" Gunnison basin 4th season tags into your equation. By "new" I mean last year was the first year since 2007 that those units have had 4th season tags, so this generation of bucks has not wised up to the late dates. Check out 55, 66, and 67. Nice thing here is Gunnison is a great town to stay in and some of these areas are less than 1/2 hour drive from there. The biggest buck I have ever seen was on a 4th season hunt in one of these units. Check on the winter kill because this area was hit hard with snow.

If I were in your shoes I would look at 44 most seriously, then the Gunnison units.

If I had 22 points I would spend $100 on a Huntin Fool membership, read the recent Colorado write-up and have a phone call with EVERY one of their consultants and ask them what is their dream unit in Colorado.

After burning your points, call the biologist in the unit you draw in June or July and ask about the winter kill. If it is concerning, TURN YOUR TAG BACK IN. Take it from experience.

One more small piece to take into account, its not huge, but I do believe it has an effect on daylight movement, in 2016 you have a full moon during the 4th season and 2017 the moon is almost dark. On my elk tag I waited one year after the season dates shifted to burn my 23 elk points.
I wouldn't bother the HF consultants.....the ones that really kept tabs on Colorado deer are over at Epic and still hunting them every year in a handful of units.

66 & 67 might be a tough draw this year..already heard of a few NRs with more points looking to cash in on the later date 4th season now that their kids have the points to draw the 3rd season.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I wouldn't bother the HF consultants.....the ones that really kept tabs on Colorado deer are over at Epic and still hunting them every year in a handful of units.

66 & 67 might be a tough draw this year..already heard of a few NRs with more points looking to cash in on the later date 4th season now that their kids have the points to draw the 3rd season.
Pack mule, that is a good point about Epic. Are you thinking Jason Carter and Adam Bronson? They would be a great resource.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I would have a terribly hard time going for a 3rd season tag in a unit I could draw a 4th season tag for considering there is usually far more limited hunting pressure and later dates for 4th season, but bigmoose has an interesting point. The 2015 4th season dates overlaps all but two of the 2016 3rd season dates:

2015 4th season was November 11-15

2016 3rd season will be November 5-13

With that said, I personally tend to like to hunt Western deer as close to Thanksgiving as possible.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
You guys have all confirmed what I have been thinking all along. The reason I have looked at the northwest corner units is that I can access some private property there and the number of non resident tags is only one in each unit. I did spend a week in that area during the second week of November in 2015 and saw a few deer that would be in 170 class. Packmule stated that he knew of nr that had more points that are looking at 66 or 67 as I see it I still have a good chance to draw those tags. I helped a friend in unit 44 a few years ago and he did get a 183 inch buck but I think allot has changed in that area. It seemed that there were allot of people in a relatively small part of that unit. I have contacted a couple of outfitters but not sure that is the way I want to go. I know it may to early to tell but has the snow caused a serious problem in 66 or 67 as of yet?

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Be careful about burning lots of points for around Gunnison area, I would call and ask several biologists about winter kill this year. It has already been posted on here that the basin is seeing more snow than the last big die off. (2008 maybe??) Good luck and God bless

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks to all for the comments as they are all helpful. I intend to wait for awhile to get closer to application deadline then contact the biologist and see what happened.

DUG

May 4, 2014
I agree with the other posts here, I was born and raised in Northwestern CO and I wouldn't burn that many points in any unit up there. I got a buck in 142 last year that scored 185 and was 30", ill add a pic and the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_IicYWwH20
but it didn't take 22 points, and even if I had that many I wouldn't hunt 142. I agree the later the season the better. Good luck!

dugbuck30.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Pack mule, that is a good point about Epic. Are you thinking Jason Carter and Adam Bronson? They would be a great resource.
Let me help......that many points equals.

1. Forget the past winterkill stories (2007-2008) those areas have produced the last two years and are back IMO, genetics are there to support it.
2. 4 years of nice winters, wet springs and high forage production at altitude have grown horns.
3. Although the genetics for the famous Gunnison GMUs is still there.........plenty of other options now in the state.
4. Call the biologists to confirm stories and data.
5. Forget 1-4 above. Grab a beer or good scotch and listen to UH and Pack mule from the quote above. Listen to what Mr Carter and Bronson have to say.

Congrats on the 22 points! You have options my friend!!! All the best

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I agree with the other posts here, I was born and raised in Northwestern CO and I wouldn't burn that many points in any unit up there. I got a buck in 142 last year that scored 185 and was 30", ill add a pic and the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_IicYWwH20
but it didn't take 22 points, and even if I had that many I wouldn't hunt 142. I agree the later the season the better. Good luck!

View attachment 16010
Good buck. Snow on the ground and sleeves rolled up ready to get to work. :D

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
You guys have all confirmed what I have been thinking all along. The reason I have looked at the northwest corner units is that I can access some private property there and the number of non resident tags is only one in each unit. I did spend a week in that area during the second week of November in 2015 and saw a few deer that would be in 170 class. Packmule stated that he knew of nr that had more points that are looking at 66 or 67 as I see it I still have a good chance to draw those tags. I helped a friend in unit 44 a few years ago and he did get a 183 inch buck but I think allot has changed in that area. It seemed that there were allot of people in a relatively small part of that unit. I have contacted a couple of outfitters but not sure that is the way I want to go. I know it may to early to tell but has the snow caused a serious problem in 66 or 67 as of yet?
I got confirmation that 1 of the NR tags will be off the table regardless of Winter if the 4th season is still available (and he'll have a kid hunting 2nd & 3rd....wish I could spend a month in CO like that)...a guy with 25pts is still thinking on it and since his buddy will draw I doubt he'll use his points to have 2ppl hunting the same season. 2 more guys with 24/25 are still undecided but those 2 units are what they're looking at.

What you'll see as far as rut depends on the weather. I've seen them pretty stupid the first week of Nov when things were right. All it takes is one doe to start smelling around the large concentrations of deer to draw out bucks they've been there all along, but just haven't been leaving cover much during daylight.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Great buck! I know everyone wants a 200 inch buck but I would be happy with that deer. Last year it took 20pp for a non resident to draw 142 and there were 4 tags. Did you have a problem with access? Did you see allot of bucks and if you did was yours the best? Did you see any other hunters and did they get good bucks?

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
So I think I would choose 66 over 67. What units are these guys thinking? If I don't apply there is no way to draw so may have to even if I don't have enough points. There are 30+ non residents with more points so if they all apply for a tag in the units being mentioned I would not draw any tag.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I mean absolutely no disrespect by what I am about to say and please don't take it that way, but if you are considering the NW corner based on seeing 170 class deer, I hope you realize the potential opportunity you have. There are a pile of tags you could draw with a quarter of the points you have that will produce that kind of buck. The only high end 4th season tag I have been on (helped on the hunt) we were hunting a big heavy 210 class clean typical and passing on some fantastic bucks rutting right by the truck. We were on that buck and the wrong buck was shot (that one still hurts). That is the kind of hunt you want to be on! :)

Last edited: