Colorado 2015

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
Who's putting in this year? With season dates a week earlier than normal it's a little bit of a gamble. I know harvest has been off the last couple of years due to the mild weather during the seasons. I'm going to try and cash in my nine points this year. I suspect point creep will really jump next year with the later season dates.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
In point acquisition stage. Might apply in 16 depending on what a cpl winter ranges look like after next season.

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
I'm also sitting on 9 NR points and going to try and use them this year. Been trying for a 2nd season tag the last couple years. Going for a 3rd season tag this season.

Good luck in the draw guys!

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
It is always hard to decide when to pull the trigger on using preference points. I have 21nr points for deer in Colorado and still not going to use them this year. Next year with the latter dates seem to be a better time. There are several reasons why I have this many so you don't have to wonder why I have waited this long. What would you do if you could hunt anywhere in the state?

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
My unit had a 236 killed in it. I had seen that deer on three occasions and I have seen two other deer almost as good. A small amount of pp would allow a nr to hunt any season. I would rather hunt.

ttewes

Oct 25, 2014
Minnesota
I will be adding another point this year as well. It stinks doing it, but I should be able to draw a 4th season tag next year! :)

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Sitting on 9 NR points and haven't decided. I haven't shot a deer with a gun in 27 years. Been all with a bow. But I am contemplating picking up the rifle again. Got to figure out what I want to do??? Archery, muzzleloader, high country rifle, or 4th season??

This years season dates kind of has me leaning toward buying a point and going for one of the 4th season tags next year, but who knows what will change next year. With all the reintroduced 4th seasons there may be a lot of unit point jumping. This may throw a kink in the works for some of these other units and seasons. It's been 7 years since the winter kill of '08. I know this has been on a lot of people's minds and now it appears that area is making somewhat of a comeback. Only time will tell.

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
A tough decision for me but in Co. I decided to put in for points, with 14 for deer and 16 for Elk I think next year I will be try to draw on one of them and hunt. Hunting plans in other states have just kept me out the draw in Co.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
A tough decision for me but in Co. I decided to put in for points, with 14 for deer and 16 for Elk I think next year I will be try to draw on one of them and hunt. Hunting plans in other states have just kept me out the draw in Co.
With your points you should be able to draw some decent units. I may hold out one more year as well and see some 4th season reviews.

toddh

Dec 31, 2012
Waiting till next year when the season is later. I will have 7 NR points for deer.

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
I suspect a lot will wAit on the sidelines this year for the later dates, but creep might be super bad next year if that is the case. I think we are long enough past the big winter kill that people are thinking it's probably as good as it's going to get and jumping back in.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I decided to burn a few points and do a 4th season tag instead of the usual archery or muzzy tag. The only reason I am doing that is I am going to draw a region G tag in Wyoming and that runs the same time as the early seasons in Colorado. I will have 2 great shots at a good buck this year.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
Pts only for me this year. I will have 11 NR pts next year and plan on trying to draw a 3rd season tag with the later dates.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I am in but then again I am always in.. Going for 42 block as I hear the biggest bucks in the state live there (well cant deny that) and someone just found a great set of 300+" sheds!!

It will be interesting to watch as there are a lot of high point holders who are holding off for the later dates in 2016. My father is one who can pick any hunt in the state and due to the later dates the next few years will pry do the same as many of you and wait. The guys who are waiting 18 - 20 years seem to be looking at the dates real close and it will be interesting to see what happens when a bunch of guys with 15+ points decide to jump in for 2016...

I think the later dates will have a effect or this year point creep will mellow then take a big leap in a lot of areas for 2016 well at least for the 3rd and 4th season huts.

It might be a good "value bet" this year to pick a unit that normally someone would not have enough points but close as many guys seem to be sitting out a year.. Well unless you are putting in for 42 block as I got a hunch that unit might see some creep!

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
My FIL is one of those folks sitting up above 20pts, 23/24 IIRC, don't even think the dates will sway him bc he doesn't think a unit in the state is worth that many.