Co Draw Odds...

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
After the change interesting the huge increase in apps this year for sheep/goat. When moose comes out I would expect even a bigger increase..

I would expect deer and elk to go up as well. Or point creep for NR has changed to a point race.. Stats from CPW about sheep/goat are below.

Desert Sheep

2017 = 424 NR, 1526 res
2018 = 1722 nr, 2787 res

Rocky Sheep

2017 = 3728 nr, 14,011 res
2018 = 14,134 nr, 26859 res

Goat

2017 = 1951 nr, 14011 res
2018 = 11054 nr, 22357 res

Yea kinda a uptick in apps this year.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Yea I was looking at that as well. Man what a kick in the pants. I need to get super lucky in the next 2 or 3 years and draw a goat tag.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Please, please, please let me draw my goat tag before the pool gets flooded! The more I think about this the more it irritates me. Those of us who’ve been in the game all these years should get some kind of preference. But that won’t happen...

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah it sucks, but hunting shouldn?t be so exclusive that, because of some silly policy, that some people can?t even financially participate. It?s the right thing to do.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Yeah it sucks, but hunting shouldn?t be so exclusive that, because of some silly policy, that some people can?t even financially participate. It?s the right thing to do.
Yep, but that's not how we operate.

We talk hunter recruitment, then come up with schemes to exclude them.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
They should have been doing that the whole time then. Instead of getting guys to apply for 15-20 years then quadruple the draw odds by changing the rules. Your views will be different depending which side of the fence you’re on.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I believe the same thing is going to happen to all the big game tags, especially the NR's. When you don't have to front the money to get in the draw, a whole lot more people are going to apply.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Wow.....wow....and wow. I wonder how this will change the 1-3 point limited elk hunts I go on regularly. I guess I better start leaning more about my backup OTC units.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Wow.....wow....and wow. I wonder how this will change the 1-3 point limited elk hunts I go on regularly. I guess I better start leaning more about my backup OTC units.
That's the thing I wonder about too. I mean there's a reason some deer, elk, and pronghorn tags can be easily had. Is allowing more applicants going to ruin that? I bet we know in June.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
For residents I dont know how much deer/elk will change maybe some but not as much as goat/sheep. I think most people who wanted to hunt were not held back by $40-50. Moose is a different story.

For non residents I believe deer/elk will see a very large jump in applicants...

The stats out show this change as a before and after type thing or point creep just got a shot of steroids - as the "class of 2018" works its way up the point total ladder for all species the impact will be noticable.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
As part of the 'class of 2018', I look at this as a simple lottery. Where before, I would have had to front all the money, for essentially no chance to ever draw a tag, now, I have 4x worse odds of never drawing a tag, but it costs me just a few extra dollars come application time. Honestly, for those of us that just didnt have the good fortune of being old enough to get in on the ground floor, it's a win.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
As part of the 'class of 2018', I look at this as a simple lottery. Where before, I would have had to front all the money, for essentially no chance to ever draw a tag, now, I have 4x worse odds of never drawing a tag, but it costs me just a few extra dollars come application time. Honestly, for those of us that just didnt have the good fortune of being old enough to get in on the ground floor, it's a win.
I hope you still feel that way after the Deer/Elk/Antelope stats get posted. I think the real punch in the gut will come when we get to see the "point creep", which I now think will be called "POINT LEAP".

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I hope you still feel that way after the Deer/Elk/Antelope stats get posted. I think the real punch in the gut will come when we get to see the "point creep", which I now think will be called "POINT LEAP".
I guess I'll just burn my points, and CO, like just about every other state, will be a once in a lifetime hunt for deer and elk.

hoshour

Veteran member
Yep, but that's not how we operate.

We talk hunter recruitment, then come up with schemes to exclude them.
If a guy can afford the tag when he gets drawn, he can afford to front it. The only thing it does is discourage guys from applying in several states and states with huge costs like NM.

Having to buy a nonrefundable license before you can apply does much more to discourage guys from applying for hunts with low odds of getting drawn or a long time to wait. Colorado doesn't do that and so this is now really a doubly attractive state in which to apply and that is obviously a powerful attractant.

All point setups are inherently flawed when it comes to dealing with the kind of demand western big game hunting is seeing, especially with trophy species like sheep and goat. They really only work well with single digit points.

Personally, I think Colorado's sheep and goat draw system is the best out there but the tremendous demand unleashed by dropping the upfront requirement and pairing it with no upfront license required has crashed this system too. I hope they go back.