Clothes wash

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
What do you guys wash your clothes in after the hunt? What detergent? No fabric softener correct? Thanks for any help

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I just throw mine into the regular laundry and then let them hang dry.

If you are worried about strange odors just place them into a plastic bag with some tree brows or pieces of brush from where you hunt. The clothes will absorb some of the odor from the brows or brush.

Back when I was archery hunting in the high country I would place my clothes into a plastic bag a week before the hunt with some pine brows and pieces of oak brush from where I hunted.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
ATSKO Sport Wash. Removes dirt, blood, etc.. One cap for a machine load. No UV brighteners. Been using it for over 20 years. Never saw a need to change. Available at some Wal-Marts, or online through Amazon.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Thanks guys. Wanting to keep stuff from fading and in good condition. I had to buy all new clothes so I'm starting out on new stuff

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Regular wash, in a separate load.... but, only cause my wife hates stick-tights in her clothes. I dunno what detergents she uses, or it she uses fabric softeners, I'm not allowed to touch/go near the washer and dryer.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I don?t do anything special for rifle hunting. Bow hunting I use scent killer by Wildlife Research and Hang dry. Not to preserve the color of the clothes, all I care about is the nose of the elk.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Regular wash, in a separate load.... but, only cause my wife hates stick-tights in her clothes. I dunno what detergents she uses, or it she uses fabric softeners, I'm not allowed to touch/go near the washer and dryer.
Same here. My wife says she doesn't want blood or the occasional tick anywhere near her clothes. Regular Tide and Downy fabric softener because no matter what you do if you don't keep the wind in your face you will be busted.
Special clothes wash is just wishful thinking.

Predatore

Oct 12, 2015
Loveland, CO
I use HS Scent-a-way detergent with regular cold wash, low tumble dry, and no fabric softener. I don't have high-end clothes, so there may be better detergent out there. I watch the wind closely when I hunt, but there are so many times when the wind is swirling and changes directions that I simply can't keep up with it. I'm not sure how well exactly this stuff works, but if I get only an extra second to shoot in animal, I will glad pay the small price. I've shot so many of my animals off-hand with a rifle under 50 yds, so this works for me.