Chasing Preference Points.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Happy Thanksgiving to all and a special thank you to all who served this country to make it what it is.

When reading about Late Season Bull posted by CODAK it makes me wonder about how disappointed you were with a once in a life time tag. I have had a tag for elk in unit 10 of Colorado and had a great hunt with seeing hundreds of elk and more bulls than I cared to keep track of. The bull that I killed was old and had a deformed set of antlers and I was happy with him. Was it worth waiting 20 years for the tag if you look only at score then I would say no.

I had a 4th season unit 44 deer tag and didn't see allot of deer but did kill a great buck. Had a wonderful time with my son as he came from California to help me on this hunt.

I wonder if we all have the idea that if we hunt one of these units that take forever to draw we will find something really special. Not trying to disappoint anyone but just because we get a tag may not be what we expected.

Enjoy each and every hunt as we never know if it will be our last.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Many people draw those tags and are looking for that once in a lifetime, but many people do expect a lot more than what may be plausible. Personally I?m not into the PP game would I love to kill a very large bull or buck yes I would but to me the score isn?t what it?s about. I?m all about meat and antlers are a bonus, do I still get buck and bull tags yes, if I had that 220? muley or 390? bull step out I would still shoot them. But I hunt to feed myself and will shoot legal animals at the opportunity.

We talked extensively about the unit 44 4th season tag and although 44 holds good bucks it?s they are not behind every tree.

I think some come away from a hunt discouraged that their 20 yr wait didn?t result in the record book they were going for, and that is somewhat understandable, but then again just because you waited 20?years doesn?t mean that there?s gonna be your record book tied up to a tree. It is hunting? Just waiting for that high point tag gives you an opportunity for a high class animal not a guarantee. Just like my unit 43 gives me the opportunity at a 180? buck or a 380? bull but how many do I see a year not hardly any they are there just not as plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I spent 11 points on an Elk area in Wyoming this year. We called in 16 bulls over 14 morning and evening "hunts", only 4 of which were under 300, and I shot one of those. Some hunts they quit bugling at 8: in the morning, other hunts we called in 3 different bulls. It was a blast and worth the wait. More importantly, I'm grateful for the people that gave me tips over the 3 years I spent researching that hunt area. It's your hunt, what you make of it is up to you.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If all a person wants is horns, they really don't have to wait 20+ years. There are plenty of private land hunts that will get you a monster, all you have to do is load up your bank account!

Myself, I am more in line with gypsumreaper. I've taken my share of 180+ deer, but no really (350+) elk. I've been hunting deer for 65 years and not near that long on elk. Took me 20 years to get a book antelope and I probably won't get another. I do get points as I know of a couple of good areas here in Colorado that have some great bucks and take few points to draw. I am getting enough elk point to do one last wilderness guided horseback hunt. I am 77 now and probably have one of those left in me...LOL.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Only 4 yrs into this gig as a middle aged adult; and I've got jack for pref pts, but I get some each yr as my budget allows.

Once I can draw one of these so called "better" tags being referred to in this thread, if I understand correctly, my expectation is really just a representative bull or buck; on acessible public land, with lots of animals for me to see; and hopefully less hunting pressure. That's it. I'm not after a specific antler score, but would be a little disappointed if all I could tag was a spike raghorn or small forkhorn buck.

I hunted for several days backpacking on a doe antelope tag this yr, in what many consider a junk unit (was my 2nd choice); but I had an absolute blast.

Would I do the junk unit again? It was definitely better than staying home, but the land access issues were a challenge. Definitely 'yes' as a 2nd choice or leftover for does. Not much skin the game with doe tag fees, and a long walk while on vacation in the Rockies is better than a long walk at home in Iowa. [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnbud

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Great post because i was thinking the exact same thing

Our family drew a party of 5 for the Missouri Breaks bull elk rifle tag this year in unit 621. We spent 17 days straight in the field and managed to fill 3 of our 5 tags but the quality of bulls we ended up shooting scored inbetween 260-300. We saw lots of solid 5pts everyday and maybe 2 bulls both at 1500 yards that maybe were in the 320-340 range but nothing larger.

I think maybe the moral of my story from this year is sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt when comparing two things: what your perception is of the tag you have in your pocket vs. to the quality of animals your seeing on a daily basis. As in our case, the hard work of summer scouting, glassing, and putting in big miles most days didnt produce the results i was really hoping for. But I also wasnt really willing to eat me tag either and wanted the meat for the year. In hindsight, the bull i ended up harvesting is still my personal best and has some character and we got some unforgettable memories with my family.

I also learned from this hunt that I am not going to put so much pressure on myself all year worrying about a special permit just because the draw can take years to yield results. Every year in the past we?ve seen some dandy bulls in general units and Im just going to keep putting in the work like we normally do and not let trophy quality get to me. Because in the end, consistency wins the race as long as I harvest a bull I am happy with regardless of the size.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I've only played the point game in CO and WY, but have gone on 17 hunts since 2006. Most of those hunts were OTC, or used 0-3 points, and I have taken 17 critters. My biggest disappointments were when I didn't draw that "special" tag that my point totals should have been high enough to draw. My only higher point hunt that I made used 10 deer points, and I saw only one buck after 13 days in the mountains. Still, that was one of my favorite hunts, as I did it all DIY, saw some fantastic country, and made some new friends. (Thank you gypsumreaper,JimP, JPseveland, Topgun and other un-named hunters in the back country. I have booked a guided elk hunt in CO for 2019, hoping to use my 11 pts. there while I can still hump it in the high wilderness.
So, my advice is to get a group of friends who will ALL buy the same points that you do, and in more than one state. Find a way to hunt every year somewhere, and don't wait for 20 years to get out there. Good luck.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
What an interesting post on this subject! I've been fortunate to draw great tags across the Western US plus Alaska over the years. I agree 100% that it's tough waiting a lifetime for a tag and have things not work out. Fortunately I've been super "lucky" and have harvested some incredible critters over the years. Most of my fortune and luck hasn't happened by accident....but has been due to in-depth research, scouting, and putting a lot of time and boot leather on the ground. I've noticed that a lot of hunters panic after drawing premium tags. Some may even shoot the first decent buck, bull, ram, or billy they encounter. This may be due to inexperience, lack of field judging knowledge, or lack of time in the hills. Most of my most memorable experiences have been pre-season while scouting! Sometimes this is impossible but it sure ups your chances for a successful hunt and a great way to extend your once in a lifetime experience!

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Great topic. Western hunting is eye opening for new people hunting there.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Idaho doesn't do points. we are luck of the draw. if drawn for buck or bull you must sit out on buck or bull draw one year before you can apply again. in meantime you CAN put in for cow or doe tags

so it is possible one may draw a great bull and/or buck tag every couple years, OR it is possible to put in for a lifetime and never be drawn at all.

I would not change this system for a points system

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Just to clarify, maybe I came off wrong on my original Late Season Bull post. This is not a trophy unit and doesn't take anywhere near a trophy unit's points. It is not an OTC unit either. I just chose to scout my butt off, spending 50-75 days a field a year in the area and I could have drawn the tag for several years prior, but wanted to wait until conditions were right. I watched some of these bulls for 4 years. Some blew up, some went downhill, some died or moved areas. I knew where they summered, where they rutted, where they sheltered, where they went when pressured, where they bachelored up, where they spent weeks at a time, where they would only spend a day, where they would go when the weather turned, on and on. The reason I was disappointed was with myself. I spent all that time to have 3 bulls in mind to kill. All were 360+. I have some of their sheds and countless pictures. I knew where one would be opening day. He was there and I missed the easiest shot of my life. I watched him run off and join his crew and it stung a bit. The next day I settled for a 7 year old bull who doesn't score much over 300 because I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I couldn't located the other two bulls since September. I took my best option only to see a bull I had seen two years prior and not a sighting since step out right after I shot and gave me every angle of a 370" 7x7 frame. Just sometimes it doesn't work out but the journey is no different

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Personally I would rather hunt every year than wait 5-10 years or even more to draw a tag in "trophy" unit. I think too many people think there will be monster bulls or giant bucks behind every tree in those areas touted as trophy areas. As a result many of them are disappointed when they leave empty handed and say the area was mis-represented.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
You sure put in he work CODAK and even though you didn't take the biggest bull in there it sounds like you still got a great one that most folks would be very happy with. Congrats!!
And since your unit doesn't take "anywhere near a trophy unit's points" maybe you'll be able to go back in there again before to long.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My priority is .
1) screaming bulls every year
2) meat in the freezer
3) if the meat in my freezer just happens to have horns, bonus

Big game hunting in big boy/woman mountains is hard enough that I'd rather get good at my craft and hunt every year vice banking points. Don't take this the wrong way but if 80% of the people would actually scout, work out and eat right you would see success rates go up 25% across the board. More often than not....if the animals are not with in a half mile of the trail/quad/ truck...they are safe.
Me alone has never understood saving points, never been in the GMU, draw the tag and actually expect some big horns to go down just because they drew the tag....it's usually laughable.

I just experienced it last rifle season. I offered to take a group of guys to where the animals were. The look of horror on their face was hilarious.....3 miles from the quad they gasped. Ha.
To each their own.....if it's legal I support what ever anyone wants to do.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
My priority is .
1) screaming bulls every year
2) meat in the freezer
3) if the meat in my freezer just happens to have horns, bonus

Big game hunting in big boy/woman mountains is hard enough that I'd rather get good at my craft and hunt every year vice banking points. Don't take this the wrong way but if 80% of the people would actually scout, work out and eat right you would see success rates go up 25% across the board. More often than not....if the animals are not with in a half mile of the trail/quad/ truck...they are safe.
Me alone has never understood saving points, never been in the GMU, draw the tag and actually expect some big horns to go down just because they drew the tag....it's usually laughable.

I just experienced it last rifle season. I offered to take a group of guys to where the animals were. The look of horror on their face was hilarious.....3 miles from the quad they gasped. Ha.
To each their own.....if it's legal I support what ever anyone wants to do.
I have said it many times , what is fun for hard core hunters is akin to torture for most!

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
I agree with you Slugz on what most hunters are willing to do so they may have a chance to harvest a animal. I see them not wanting to loose sight of their quads, trucks or something they are familiar with.
My son and I were just on 4th season cow elk hunt in Colorado and the day we both filled our tags we logged 11+ miles on my fitbit. Sure will enjoy every meal because of the effort we put in.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I think a couple things to consider when chasing points and perception of a "good" tag.

Its best to be realistic where you are in line, did you get in on the ground floor of the point system? 2 years behind? 5 years? 10 years?

An example is how I went about elk in Arizona...I knew I was never going to catch the early rut tags as a NR, just wasn't going to happen. So, I developed a strategy that's allowed me to have 4 bull elk tags there...3 of the 4 tags have netted me a 7x6 that scores 356, and two 300ish 6 points...the other tag I donated to hunt of a lifetime.

I have drawn often enough, and never have accumulated enough points, to have to worry about drawing the "right year" and all that crap. I apply and if I get a tag, I go down there 4-5 days prior to the hunt, scout, and just plan on hunting and seeing what happens. I was convinced that if I drew 4 tags, one year I would take a great bull. Just happened to be the first tag. I came close to getting another bull over 350 that gave me the slip with my second tag.

Wyoming is random, and I've drawn 3 good bull tags as well and definitely did the tag justice each time.

The one thing that leaves me always wondering, is why people apply for all those years for really good tags, then shoot an average animal the first couple days? I see it all the time, and I just don't get applying for a decade or more then killing an animal that can be found with moderate effort in areas a person could draw every couple years. I suspect its the pressure of waiting so long and the fear of not getting something. Personally, if I give a tag all I have, and come up short...that's OK. I would feel much worse about waving the white flag and shooting something just because.

Bottom line though, its all a personal choice and I hope that when people draw what the perceive as great tags, and burn mountains of points, that they're happy.

I think mostly people are, and that's a good thing.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
At this stage of my life, I'm strictly a bowhunter, though that will probably change as my boys get old enough to take hunting trips out west. If i were to start the points game now, it would be more so to get into units to provide more opportunity rather than high end trophies. It would be a blast to have multiple opportunities at decent bulls, with an outside chance at a whopper. As said before, there's trophy animals in just about any unit. Having an area to hunt with unpressured animals would be my goal.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I pretty much just meat hunt anymore . trophies are all well and good but ultimately meaningless.

would rather just put in for a cow hunt and actually be able to draw now and then