Central artic caribou heard

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I just wanted to let everyone know that AK F&G might closing caribou hunting to non-residents in unit 26B. The population has went from 70,000 down to 23,000 in 6 years. This the unit where the "haul" road is, & mostly residents hunt but there are a few transporters in the area that base their operation off of the road. Do your research before you proceed to book a trip in that unit. You can go to AK F&G web site to verify. Here is the link. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=pressreleases.pr11162016_caribou

I only know of this because they sent me a publication in the mail today.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
That would be disappointing not knowing that and booking a hunt.

Good call and thanks for bringing the issue to everyone's attention.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
A lttle late for me if this goes through for this year. Been booked for over 2 years and have already purchased plane tickets and truck rental. I'll be out nearly ten grand with my son and a friend if the sesaon dates change as proposed. Doesn't matter if the transporter gives me different dates as I won't be able to afford to respend the other costs that have already been paid for.

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
here is the update from Board of game meeting in Fairbanks held on 2/25

Board of Game Region III meeting concluded yesterday in Fbks. The Board changed the season and bag limits for Central Arctic Herd (CAH) caribou in Unit 26B remainder (south of 69°30N):

Resident Hunters: 2 Bulls August 1- April 30
Nonresident Hunters: 1 Bull August 1 - Sept. 15