Buying my 1st muzzleloader: input wanted

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I'm looking to get into muzzleloader hunting and need some direction. I shot a muzzleloader once that a friend had years ago. He sold it shortly there after and that is the extent of my experience with them. Very few people in the south use them because we have no special seasons for them (new 5 day season was added a few years ago). I would be looking to use it in Alabama, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Arizona.

It will be scoped and can be an in-line because they are legal in all those states. Any suggestions on brands and models that I should check out? I want to buy something high quality so I only have to buy it once.
CVA?
Knight?
Traditions?
Thompson Center?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Having went through a bunch of muzzleloaders for various reasons I believe this to be the best bang for the buck and also has a great trigger in it.

If you would have told me 10 years ago I would be shooting a CVA inline I would have laughed until I was out of sight....

Times sure have changed and this is what I recommend. You wont be disappointed.
That nitride coating is the real deal...they make several different versions now. Easy to remove breach plug and unload without firing, easy to clean, east to load, accurate with full bore bullets or sabots, Check them out below.
Oh ya and make sure to get the correct breech plug. They make one specifically for BH209 and yes, you can get it in nitride finish as well.

With the Hornady 300 grain SST low drag sabots and 84 (weighed) grains of BH209 this think kicks pretty hard. But it will put a deer in the dirt fast. Us the Hornady FPB 350 grain for elk. I didnt shoot one with it but they shot great on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabama and LCH

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
After having owned knight and traditions personally, I would cross those off the list for reasons I dont want to get into.

Reactions: Alabama

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If you are looking for a pretty cool new ride....CVA Paramount. It takes the new ELR bullet aerotip, .45 cal and 150gr of powder safely. Scoped...its hitting things pretty far out there....consistantly. lots of SHOT show articles out there on it and reviews. Its heavy....so take that into consideration....if thats a factor for you and hiking.

If weight is a determining factor G4 Ultralight Traditions is what we have shot the past 6 years with no issues....and its light.

20190918_084830.jpg

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've got the TC Pro-Hunter and it's a tack driver to 300yds. Furthest I've shot anyway. Cool looking and easy to handle too.
Just like all equipment, once you separate the wheat from the chaff, you've got to handle a few to find your personal preference.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
If you are looking for a pretty cool new ride....CVA Paramount. It takes the new ELR bullet aerotip, .45 cal and 150gr of powder safely. Scoped...its hitting things pretty far out there....consistantly. lots of SHOT show articles out there on it and reviews. Its heavy....so take that into consideration....if thats a factor for you and hiking.

If weight is a determining factor G4 Ultralight Traditions is what we have shot the past 6 years with no issues....and its light.

View attachment 29577
I'm sure you know that Colorado requires a minimum of 50 cal. MZL to hunt elk. Even if someone is intending to just use it for eastern deer, you may at some point want to head out west. Many MZL tags are an easier draw, and during the rut than the rifle season tags. Even in the OTC areas, you beat the crowds on a muzzy hunt. Most MZLs can be bought in 45, 50, and sometimes 54 cal.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I shoot the T/C Triumph bone collector. I know it’s a little older of a model, but has served me well over the years. Taken quite a few mulies and whitetail with it. It’s lightweight and doesn’t kick bad. I shoot 110gr of blackhorn powder with a 250 gr bullet. Played around with a lot of different powder weights, but the 110gr seems to produce the best groupings and results for that gun.

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
Cheap a CVA wolf is nice and will get you out to 250. I have one as a backup/loaner. It’s lite.

Wanting something longer range the CVA paramount with BH209 seems to be one of the better options from a factory.

I have a custom 458 smokeless that I typically run BH209 in for hunting.

Attachments

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I have a couple of the entry level Traditions rifles, a Buckstalker and a G4. Maybe I just don't know any better, but they seem fine to me.

Some sort of cerakote or nitride finish makes clean-up a lot easier. I definitely prefer BH209 as a propellant.

I'd recommend getting a rifle with open sights that you can mount a scope on. That way, you can remove it and hunt states like Colorado that prohibit scopes.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Having went through a bunch of muzzleloaders for various reasons I believe this to be the best bang for the buck and also has a great trigger in it.

If you would have told me 10 years ago I would be shooting a CVA inline I would have laughed until I was out of sight....

Times sure have changed and this is what I recommend. You wont be disappointed.
That nitride coating is the real deal...they make several different versions now. Easy to remove breach plug and unload without firing, easy to clean, east to load, accurate with full bore bullets or sabots, Check them out below.
Oh ya and make sure to get the correct breech plug. They make one specifically for BH209 and yes, you can get it in nitride finish as well.

With the Hornady 300 grain SST low drag sabots and 84 (weighed) grains of BH209 this think kicks pretty hard. But it will put a deer in the dirt fast. Us the Hornady FPB 350 grain for elk. I didnt shoot one with it but they shot great on paper.

View attachment 29576
Is that the Optima V2? That one was high on my list from reading reviews.

Edit: I didn't see the link before. I'll check it out. Thanks Mallards.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama

View attachment 29577
I'm wanting to stick with .50 cal. Weight will be one of the factors. I'll be using it for mule deer in Nebraska and Elk in NM and AZ so i'll be carrying it all day. I would like to find a balance between weight and having a longer barrel for accuracy.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Muzzle Loaders.com has a clearance sale going on right now.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm no expert on muzzleloaders - far from it actually.. I currently shoot a CVA Wolf. I've been contemplating buying another one, and if I do, I'll go with the CVA Accura, Bergara makes the barrels for this gun, the breech plug system is super easy to use, and it seems like they're pretty accurate guns.
Not sure what bullet you'll end up with, but I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Dave at No Excuses bullets. That guy probably forgot this morning, more than I'll ever know about muzzle loaders. I just ordered some of his bullets, hoping to get a good elk/deer load dialed in soon.