Building points for a kid?

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Started thinking today about building points for my kid. Hes only 2 so i have a little time to plan 😜

What age/states can I start buying him points? Where would you start now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I was just having this conversation with my mom. One of my nephew's is 12, and really into the outdoors. We are starting today with paddlefish snagging points. :D

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
I have two boys, almost 6 and 8 and have looked into this some. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say. From what I can tell, most states that have a PP system don't allow you to apply or buy unless the applicant will be of legal hunting age (for that state) by the start or at least by some point during the open season.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You are going to have to figure out the state that you plan on buying the points from and then check it out. I believe that for Utah they have to be 16 or it could be 19 and out of the age group for youth tags to be able to accumulate points. Others you might just need to be able to hunt big game.

The only problem that I could foresee doing this would be if the state that you are getting points in decides to change the whole point program and go to a random draw. The way that point creep is happening that could be a possibility and I know that a couple of states have thought about doing that.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
In NV you must have a hunting license to apply for a tag or bonus point and a youth must be at least 12 years old to legally hunt big game. So you can't buy a hunting license for a 5 year old and start banking bonus points early.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
I remember reading some states allow buying points for kids from the DOB, don't remember which states as I don't have small kids anymore. I think you should decide which states you would like to apply for and check each state regulations. Buying points might be expensive if you applying in multiple states and add license and tag fees but that would be great investment if you son likes hunting when he gets the legal hunting age. I like that some states, like ID have very cheap junior hunting license, tags, and some special draws for kids. We had couple junior hunts with my sons and love it.

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
I could be mistaken, but i believe Wisconsin allows a "points transfer" for someone getting black bear points, say from a mom or aunt or grandma that would like to see junior get a jumpstart on his hunting career.
Haven't done it, but believe i heard it somewhere at some point...

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Goshen, can I share that pic? It is killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely Scott. Thank you. We took it after a morning of turkey hunting, on the ground with no blind, with a bow 😁 my boy got to see 2 toms strut and gobble their heads off before i popped one. 15 minute long successful hunts are the ticket when ya got a 2 year old lol

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Absolutely Scott. Thank you. We took it after a morning of turkey hunting, on the ground with no blind, with a bow [emoji16] my boy got to see 2 toms strut and gobble their heads off before i popped one. 15 minute long successful hunts are the ticket when ya got a 2 year old lol

Awesome! Thanks, watch for it on Wingmen tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk