Boyhood hunts relived

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
So here's the deal. My dad and his father used to hunt near Meeker in Piance (sp?) creek area. I've finally convinced him to come out and hunt it again with my boy and me. Now my problem. I know nothing of the area, and am looking for all the help I can get. Haha. I'm going to be making a few trips over there between now and 3rd rifle. What should I expect. Also is there still a "California camp"? Thanks again folks.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
It definitely is not like it used to be. My dad, his dad and my great uncle hunted that area years ago when it was in its prime. We hunted it a few years ago and it was elbow to elbow hunters, but that seems to be the norm in most places these days.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Don't know the GMU #'s anymore or the draw status off hand but what if you tried a little west-southwest; more toward Rangely and hunt that side of Douglas Pass? In my recollection, it used to be a little less crowded on average and if you are able to hike around, you can get away in that country pretty quick. I know my buddies that still live out there do well on that southern side of Baxter Pass as well...

I remember that Craig/Meeker area used to be a coveted elk tag...

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
He really has his heart set on Pecanence creek. That's GMU 22. I'm going to be hitting it as much as I can over the summer. I will definitely hit those spots you recommended. I also heard it was hit hard with fires? Any on that?