Bino pouch - your thoughts ?

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
All,
While in camp this year I noticed that the guides all had bino pouches. By the end of the hunt i understood why ... dust and ease of access, one hand access.

What model do you use and why ...if you use them ?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a Marsupial that I like, Works well and I would recommend it. The only thing I've found is that the chest straps have limited adjustment. I have a 54" chest and they are a little snug.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use the Vortex Guide harness. It’s big but I can carry pretty much everything I need to be available quickly.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have used a bunch of them, Sitka, Eberlestock, Outdoor Vision, Mystery Ranch. Each of them has good features and some I would change, most based on preference. Try them on if you can!

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Wish I had one,I'm tired of my binos flopping around my neck.Thanks for the Idea,Christmas is right around the corner!:cool:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have the Badlands magnet bino pouch that I got off of CamoFire.

It is a real nice pouch for $70

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
This is definitely a SUPER opinionated area. I have the Vortex Harness Strap that I use in combination with a Horn Hunter Bino Hide, a cover rather than a pouch. I also have Alps RMEF Ridge Stalker X, which is a proper pouch. Finally I have the Vortex bino tripod adapter, which doesn't sound like this category but I keep on a quick-change adapter on a Primos tripod that also has a gun rest. I will often just leave it on there while hiking, especially in thick timber when I want to spot-and-stalk, moving slowly, never actually putting the binos away, and be ready for a quick change to a gun rest.

My favorite HARNESS is the primos one because it has an elastic strap that takes any stress/binocular swing out of each step while you hike despite being very loose on you. You also don't add any "pouch" weight (the bino hide weighs almost nothing). The way it's rigged, the binos attach right to the strap rather than to hanger straps, so it's really smooth to use. The clip attachment points slide up and down the harness so they feel like they stay one unit as you use them. If I'm glassing a lot during hikes, this is my favorite combination.

Next up is my Alps pouch which I use when doing general hunting, especially for grouse or deer and ESPECIALLY while "scouting" pre-season. My pattern there is about being slow and quiet than about covering ground, stopping every time there's a change in the view. "Let your eyes do the walking" style. I like that the alps unit is cheap, but also has some details that set apart more expensive pouches, like having a quiet closure, and having separate straps just for the binoculars with a quick detach. I can take them off and hand them to my kids on family hikes, or if I see something to react to, just drop them and grab my rifle (and they won't fall).

But both of these are clumsy in thick timber especially if I'm doing spot-and-stalk in there. In there, you're glassing more or less constantly, using the binos to do what your eyes can't do and "see past" the near stuff. With a pouch you're taking it in and out constantly, and with just the harness it seems to get in the way of a slung rifle a little more. So keeping it constantly mounted on my tripod (which doubles as my walking stick in there) I always have it at-hand and in use.

Look how much I just vented. If there's a point to all this it's that you have to choose what fits your style of hunting and personal preferences. There are several dozen products out there. Try 'em out and see what fits you!

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I just started using alaska guide creations.
Love it. Pocket for rangefinder and GPS on the sides. I gave my badlands to my son. I used it for years and liked it but didn't have the extra pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have the Kuiu and FHF harness. I use the FHF more because I frequently take my binos out and tripod mount them if I'm only packing one set. If I'm packing my 15x Swaros, or hunting somewhere I won't tripod mount my binos I might take the more compact Kuiu harness. Even then I often choose the FHF because then I can hand my Leica Geovid's to my partner to range and spot with while I set up for the shot if we are together and the shot is mine.

The FHF has a zipper pocket on the front that holds a Fenix LD02 1AAA flashlight, a mini Bic lighter, 4 aquamira tablets, a folded quart ziplock bag, and a wetfire cube. My Benchmade Altitude knife sheath fits perfect in the LH mesh pocket of the harness and my wind checker fits in the RH pocket. Keeping a minimal kit in the harness means I always have them with me even if I change layers and drop my pack. I have done that and ended up a long way from where I thought I'd be taking the shot from. All of the extra stuff is 5oz and it's stuff that would be in my possibles kit in my pack if it wasn't in the harness.

Last edited:

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Not to hijack the thread but an alternative is a dump bag that hangs off your waist. I find it more comfortable and easier to use than a chest pouch. The dump bag is large enough that I can carry my 10x42 binos, my Rhino GPS, and a range finder at the same time.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Researched this a few years back, and went with the FHF harness. It has served me well.

Get a few sent to your house...try them out...then send back the ones you don't like.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I learned the hard way to avoid putting a bunch of bulky stuff on my chest when I was in the military, I carry the pistol there only because it's easier to access if I've got a bear in my face. I do know that you can arrange a bino bivy so that the Kenai chest rig sits under it comfortably and for those that like to carry their binos that way it seems like a good system. But since I carry a waist belt with a small medical kit and a hunting knife anyways the dump bag works well for me.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
FHF for the win. Hands down, one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought a range finder harness for mine, and connected it to the side of the bino harness. I keep my tags in the front pocket, and a wind checker in the other side pocket.
As a comparison, people I hunt with have the AGC and the S4 lockdown. The Alaska Guide Creation is nice. A touch big, but very nice. The S4 lockdown isn't even in the same league, maybe not the same sport.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Look for models that open from the back forward. Many open backwards and leave a hook/loop on the front to snag on things.

I run the marsupial but there are a couple other nice ones out there. I really like the magnetic closure. Tonight I just left it open as I sat and watched a meadow, made it easy to get binos in and out. Easy to close without even looking or worrying about hooking a loop or strap. O also have the rangefinder pouch and am planning to buy one more to put my gps in.

I believe the alaska guide model is pretty nice as well.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
FHF for the win. Hands down, one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought a range finder harness for mine, and connected it to the side of the bino harness. I keep my tags in the front pocket, and a wind checker in the other side pocket.
As a comparison, people I hunt with have the AGC and the S4 lockdown. The Alaska Guide Creation is nice. A touch big, but very nice. The S4 lockdown isn't even in the same league, maybe not the same sport.
MY understanding the downside to the FHF is that is opens backwards, requires hooking a loop to close (which requires taking off gloves from what I have seen), nylon/corduramaterial can be noisy, and the hook/loop snags on things in the brush. And some complain that the shoulder straps dig in, but they now sell a kit to spread out the weight.

I Agree that the S4 is junk. Had one for a short while but it really didn't protect the binos or work well for me. I Also agree on the AGC, it looks like a nice setup to me.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
What is a dump bag?
A pouch or bag that hangs off of your waist belt. The military uses them for dumping your empty magazines in to, among other things. If you're curious you can find them on the Internet by searching for dump pouch or dump bag. There are all sorts and sizes.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I went through this exercise about a year ago as I was due for an upgrade. I ended up with the AGC. I got the hybrid mid-size model. Can't remember the name, but it is not too bulky, is very comfy, and has just the right amount of storage. I wear it while bow hunting without issue.
I know some of the AGC can be rather large, but the hybrid unit is 'just right'.