Bino Harness

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I've been looking at getting a bino harness. Getting tired of my binos bouncing around when I'm in the woods. Based on research, I have it narrowed down to FHF, Kuiu, and AGC. Vortex for 2016 has their version of the FHF and AGC bino harness backed by their VIP warranty. For all practical purposes they appear the same with the exception of the Vortex logo. I have seen the Kuiu in person and it looks very compact but exposed in the back. Based on pictures the AGC appears the most protected but it may be bulky. I like the looks of the FHF but it too is exposed on the sides. Any thoughts or personal experiences with these bino harnesses would be welcomed. Thanks

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
same..... S4 for me as well, way way cheaper than ones mentioned and works awesome. isn't a low quality harness either, may wanna check it out. binos will have some exposure on the sides but back and glass will be covered, snug just as tight or as loose as you want them and very easy to pull out and lock back in with gloves on, and doing it easy with gloves on is a huge plus in my book.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I use the AGC. I bought both the KUIU and AGC at the same time to choose between the two and the AGC was hands down the better option for me. What I like about the AGC is the option to carry other stuff in it. I keep my GPS in one of the side pockets, spare rounds or speed loaders in the other side pocket (if rifle or muzzleloader hunting), and my camera in the front pocket. It also has a couple elastic pockets on the top where I put my cell phone and a small pocket in the back where I keep my license/ tag and ink pen. I attach my rangefinder pouch to the side strap. This way everything I routinely grab for is in one spot on my chest. It does seem weird having on a "chest pack" at first if your not used to it but after you take off hiking you never even notice it anymore (at least I don't).

Aside from the fact that you can't carry anything else with the Kuiu, I did not like the way it attaches to your binos if you want to hand your binos to your buddy or attach them to your tripod real quick. Also I did some crawling tests with both bino packs on and with the top cover off of both for easy retrieval and my binos would fall out of the Kuiu. I couldn't get them to fall out of the AGC.

The FHF is very similar to the AGC and would probably be my second choice. I like the top lid on the AGC much better than the fold over lid of the FHF.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I use the KUIU harness, I like how it holds the binos right against my chest. The only thing I wish KUIU would add is a range finder holder.

Last edited:

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Great feedback. I do like the pockets for quick access to my wind checker, calls, range finder, etc.

CoHiCntry: Did the AGC seem a lot bulkier when compared to the KUIU? Also, do you see any issues if I left the side pockets unzipped for quick access with regards to items falling out. I wish they used the mesh pockets not a solid pocket with a zipper.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Great feedback. I do like the pockets for quick access to my wind checker, calls, range finder, etc.

CoHiCntry: Did the AGC seem a lot bulkier when compared to the KUIU?
Yes, it does. At first I thought that might be a deal breaker but after using the AGC it doesn't bother me at all. It's not so bulky that it gets in the way or anything like that. Drawing a bow isn't a concern either. When you first start using it, you will see it on your chest and that's weird at first (not sure how to explain that exactly?) Like I said though, I got used to it really quick and now am really glad I went with the AGC and would not consider a different one.

Collins

Feb 8, 2016
Green Bay, WI
I use the Kuiu harness and really like it. Compact, doesn't move, and is easily taken on and off with buckles and 4 locations. I wish it had a matching rangefinder case to go along side of it like FHF does. I would give the Kuiu an "A" grade. The only other harness I have used is the Sitka, which is extremely big compared to the Kuiu.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Another one here for the S4! I really like mine! It is simple, protects my glass and stays close to my chest if I am stalking an animal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I use the FHF. I believe I was the first one to buy one for the Swarovski ranging binos, so the owner had me send him the dimensions. It's a great fit. I carry my wind checker in the right hand pouch, an elk call in the left pouch and my licences/tags in the zipper pouch (so they are always in a safe place and with me). For me the GPS is on a carabiner clip and clips to my belt loop and slips into my front right pocket (I mark everything of interest). When I am working an animal, I often fold the lid of the FHF over against my chest so it's easy to remove and replace the binoculars. The straps that go over each arm have a clasp on them. I now only undo one of the clasps and then slip the other off over my arm. That makes it easier to put it on and off.

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've got the FHF as well. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear I've bought in the last few years. I attached the FHF range finder pouch to the the bino pouch, so it all stays together. FHF makes some seriously high quality gear, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

You may take a look at the Alaska Guide Creations CUB harness as well. I recently bought one for my brother, seems to have the same quality, and just a bit more space for other items, like calls, knives, wind checkers, etc..

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Awesome feedback.

FHF users, any issues with dust/debris getting in the harness. It's not completely enclosed. I want to put my binos in the harness without the lens covers for quick access. This is my only concern.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Awesome feedback.

FHF users, any issues with dust/debris getting in the harness. It's not completely enclosed. I want to put my binos in the harness without the lens covers for quick access. This is my only concern.
Barely any debris gets in mine. I don't use lens covers, and my binos stay very clean

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I love my FHF. I don't even really look at the other options. I don't have much problem with debris getting in, either.

It is really nice how you can get it to ride higher on your chest than other options.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I like the Kuiu harness. First year with it and don't know why I didn't buy one sooner

Roboz

Mar 10, 2011
Another vote for the Kuiu, much more comfortable than my S4. lightweight and holds them tight to my chest. Wish I would have bought them sooner. My S4 always bothered my neck/shoulder muscles and the binos felt heavy, now I don't even know I'm wearing them.