Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I'm getting ready to purchase one of these pads and saw they have a mummy version too. My initial thought is I can see myself slipping off this pad more than usual if it's mummy shaped and it's possibly not worth the modest size and weight savings? Anyone used the mummy style? If so what were your impressions?

Also... anyone know who's got the best price on these right now? REI wants $105 for the rectangle. With their return policiy it's hard for me to buy anywhere else, but if I can save a little dough I might!

Thanks!

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I use the mummy style with a Big Agnes sleeping bag. The bag has a sleeve in the back that the pad slips into, so you dont slide of the pad at night. I'm assuming you dont have a Big Agnes sleeping bag. I have used the mummy pad with an REI Mojave sleeping bag and way still able to stay on the pad all night. I dont move around a lot when i sleep though. As far as the price $105 sounds a little steep! I got my pad for $75. Moosjaw.com has them fro $64 with free shipping.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Thanks for the replies... the price was off the REI web-site but when I called the local store today they said it's only $79.99. Not sure why the difference. I don't have a BA bag as you suggested. Looking into one of those too.

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak
I have a mummy and love it. The best advice I can give you is to not blow it up until its stiff. I don't slide off of it that way and I sleep more comfortably. I set it to where if I put just my butt on it and sit down, my butt might slightly touch the ground. It took me a few nights on it to figure this out. I have a Western Mountainering Megalite (no sleeve) and don't slip off it.

eye in sky

Mar 4, 2011
Conifer, Colorado
Does anyone use the insulated air core in November? I wonder if it would be warm enough for winter camping. I was thinking of buying the dual core to get a little more insulation and I was wondering if that would be overkill.

jriggs

Aug 11, 2011
northeastern PA
not sure if it helps or not...but i have an Exped 9 that is simply amazing during the winter! i don't think anything out there even comes close to being as comfortable or warm...but they're pricey and a tad heavier than the BA pads.