Best Waders???

alexramsey

Sep 11, 2017
Fellas!

Looking at new waders for duck hunting over water. There are several to choose from. What is the best type and model to buy. My friend has a pair of neo's, but says he is always cold and damp from sweat.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
have no idea what the best are and there are probably as many opinions as there are waders but I have always been happy with hodgeman

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
A light weight pair for early season like fishing waders then a neo type for late season when it’s cold.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, my dos pesos...

DO NOT BUY NEOPRENE!!!!

They are warm but like wearing body armour. Look into a pair of breathable hunting waders. Lacrosse or Banded would get my vote. I wear a Merino base layer with a fleece wader pant over that under my breathables and I never get cold!

The breathables give you mobility, comfort, and reduce that "clamy" feeling your buddy was talking about. I switched probably four years ago and will NEVER go back to neoprene. Be prepared to spend some coin. As much as I hate to say this, Cabela's would be a good option to look at as well.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I'm 50 and have been chasing waterfowl since I was 15 years old. Started with old-school rubber chest waders. In college a buddy of mine worked for Cabela's (I live in Nebraska), and he introduced me to neoprene waders in the early 1990's. Much easier to patch, warmer, stretched as you moved. Very comfortable.

I sweat like a dog and constantly found my feet were cold. Kept trying different socks, putting on more and more to try and keep warm. Then friend suggested to wear less clothing under my neoprene's. And switched away from cotton (remember, this was early 90's).

I moved to light hiking / smart wool socks, poly long underwear and moisture wicking wader pants. Made all the difference. When I'm walking to blind or putting out decoys, I remove had and gloves and try to dump heat / not start sweating. Once I settle down in the blind bundle up and stay warm. Key is to not start sweating.

I currently own Cabela's Men's Ultimate II hunting neoprene waders . They serve me well. My brother switched to Cabela's Men's Breathable Hunting Waders with 4MOST DRY-PLUS, he really likes them. I like his waders, but feel my Ultimate's are more durable and better in extreme cold. I may bet a pair of breathable waders for early season...until then, the neoprene's are my wader of choice.

Daubs

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've been wearing these waders from Rogers for about 2 years now. They are amazing. Super comfortable, not too bulky, but still heavy duty enough to not get holes punched in them when you break ice. They have a built in fleece hand muff, which is possibly the greatest invention of all time, especially for guys like me, that don't wear gloves.
I couldn't recommend these enough

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/apparel/mens-clothing-and-footwear/waders/rogers-waders/rogers-5mm-toughman-elite-waders-in-realtree-max-5.html

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I was a kid we used to hunt at the Salton Sea in southern California. In October when the season opened, it could be in the 90's and it really never gets very cold even in January. I used to wear levis and tennis shoes, no waders at all early in the season. Then I would get out my Hodgmen hip boots. Hunted in ponds where the water/mud was usually only 18" deep. I hunt exclusively on a private club my relatives own and now don't need boots. The pit blinds are dry and my lab gets the birds.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone tried the Simms waders?
Simms are the absolute best waders money can buy... as a fly fishing guide I swear by mine. Practically lived in them when I lived in AK. However, they are expensive, think $1000.00 for a top of the line pair with wading boots. My current pair is five years old, no leaks, no whimpers, just performance. I still have my original pair as well, they are going on 15 years old and have been reconditioned twice, I still wear them as well... all in all, toughest, best wader on the market.

Joe Schmo

Jan 14, 2017
I'm a fan of the caddis guide tough or the higher end frogg toggs. However all I do is hike upstream in my baggy waders, because I always wear jeans/sweats under em, so if they don't eventually spring a leak somewhere I'll wear em out in the crotch or near the knees. I'm a big fan of having two pairs of waders.