best hatchet for backpack hunting

hferrin701

Mar 2, 2014
Looking for the best hatchet for backpack hunting....found the watchfire camper's hatchet only weighs 13 oz. What does everybody else use? Looking for something super light

wy-tex

Very Active Member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
We found a UST para hatchet on the mountain a few years back. It had been laying there at least a year and was in good shape and still sharp. Get one with a secure way to carry it, if not in your pack. A heavy head helps with splitting the ribs and pelvis. Too short of a handle and you can't get in the body cavity to split the bones. Neither of us carries one while hunting but have a gerber in the truck or camp if needed.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The word hatchet and lightweight just don't go together. To be useful a hatchet has to have some weight behind it to keep you from working your rear off. If you are in a area where you are going to be packing meat out look at doing it boneless, so no hatchet is needed. For around camp I would just use a Wyoming saw. Either their small or large one. Neither one weighs that much and they come with a bone and wood blade. I prefer the larger or the Wyoming Saw II if I am going to be cutting bone. But both work quite well.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Fiscars/Gerber makes a solid little ax. They are the same exact model, just slightly different colors. I would say it is a lighter weight hatchet, but not ultralight. I have one.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I have an Estwing hatchet/axe. It's heavier that what you'd want for packing, but it's the toughest and best one I've ever used. I keep it on the UTV until needed.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Hatchet on a backpack hunt? To much weight, LOL. Bring a Wyoming saw along, much more useful with a meat and general blade. And besides, a hatchet is dangerous and I try to limit my potential to do something stupid with a sharp object.