Berger 7mm 195gr Extreme Outer Limits Elite Hunter Bullet (G1=0.754)

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The Berger 7mm 195gr Extreme Outer Limits Elite Hunter Bullet

The ballistic coefficient of this bullet is ridiculous.

G1 = 0.754
G7 = 0.387

This bullet needs a 1 in 8.3 twist of faster for best stabilization.

I was at the Portland Sportmen's Show this past weekend and learned about this bullet. I was at the MOA rifles booth and said I was toying around with selling some firearms that just sit in my safe and get one more long range hunting rifle that will give me something substantively more than the 300 WSM I shoot. They recommended their MOA Evolution Extreme 7mm Ultra Magnum (with "Extreme Chamber Design" for the extended length of this round).

I am not sure I am wild about a 7mm Ultra Magnum with it's reputation with short barrel life, but the Berger bullet really has me intrigued. Do you think the 7mm Remington Magnum would be a good choice for this bullet and for better barrel life? Any others recommendations?

Here is the bullet:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/7mm-195gr-extreme-outer-limits-elite-hunter/

Here is the rifle:

http://www.moarifles.com/rifle-lines/

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I wonder if a 7mm Rem Mag has the powder capacity to get you enough velocity for the 195gr. Berger to be much more than your 300 WSM. I've seen guys load a 7mm RM with 180 Bergers, in the 2,900 fps range, I wonder if you could even get it over 2,800 fps with a 195? Probably depend on the barrel length you choose. What is your 300 shooting and at what velocity?

I suspect to get substantially more over a 300 WSM in a 7mm, you'll need a very large case, at least the size of a 28 Nosler. You might want to give Bob Beck a call and/or Berger bullets. If your velocity is too low, time of flight at longer range allows the wind to do very bad things, and lower velocity will equate to a lower effective BC. I suspect that is why they use a 7mm Ultra Mag case.

The other route to substantially more, vs velocity, in my mind, is a larger caliber, say a 338 Lapua. The more in this case would be a 300 grain impact. Have fun with the project.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I'd stick with the RUM, the standard 7mm Remmie just doesn't have the powder capacity to take full advantage of that 195 EOL Berger. I had a 7 RUM and shot 180 Bergers, in short... Bang! Flop! DRT. I can only imagine what the big 195 out of that case would do. I agree with the above as well; a 7mm STW, or 28 Nosler would also be excellent choices. Getting over 2800fps in the old standard Rem Mag is going to be hard to do.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
What are your guys thoughts of a developing a light load for a 7mm RUM or 28 Nosler for when the kids or my wife are the shooter. Would it be feasible to develop an accurate load that has 7mm Rem Mag velocities?

Also does anyone know a good resource to compare case volumes and velocities in the various 7mm magnum cartridges?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Last shots outta the gun after I came back from WY in Oct.
600 yards.

It's the best the rifle has shot. Like it was laser guided. It keeps getting better which is opposite of what it''s supposed to be doing.

My wife and 20 somethin daughters shoot my STW but the rifle weighs over 12#. Kicks them a little but not enough to get them to flich but I always talk them thru the shots too. We also bring a 22 for plinking and some shot execution work.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
600 yards.

It's the best the rifle has shot. Like it was laser guided. It keeps getting better which is opposite of what it''s supposed to be doing.

My wife and 20 somethin daughters shoot my STW but the rifle weighs over 12#. Kicks them a little but not enough to get them to flich but I always talk them thru the shots too. We also bring a 22 for plinking and some shot execution work.

That just makes me smile!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
600 yards.

Good shooting! Takes more than just a super accurate rifle to get a group like that at 600, well done. Rifles can be funny. Not sure how many rounds you have through it, but I would not change a thing, including my cleaning regimen.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
What are your guys thoughts of a developing a light load for a 7mm RUM or 28 Nosler for when the kids or my wife are the shooter. Would it be feasible to develop an accurate load that has 7mm Rem Mag velocities?

Also does anyone know a good resource to compare case volumes and velocities in the various 7mm magnum cartridges?
http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/28-nosler/ They list a very large number of cartridges in .284 caliber, includes case capacity too.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
the 28 Nosler with 195gr berger, 175gr Nosler LR, or the ELD-x would be a tough combo to beat. standard length action too.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
While arguably the best thought out very high velocity 7mm, it is late to the party. Too early to say for sure I suspect, so buying brass would be on my list. Having Nosler's name on it, with Noslers more recent forays into rifles and ammo, might suggest they will keep it around longer than a Rem/Win etc might, should it not sell well, but that is just a guess. I wonder if Nosler actually makes their own brass or has another do it for them? That may factor in as well. My understanding is you can make 28 Nos brass out of 7mm or 300 RUM brass too.

Maybe one of the Bend area boys has actually visited with Nosler, or someone here has sleuthed it out.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Norma makes most Nosler brass (and loads some of their ammo) but they bought Silver State and are moving/moved the equipment to their new redmond building. A friend who works in Bend thought they were going to add some calibers but the first brass they made wouldn't roll across the table so they have a ways to go.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I think I would stock up early and have some just because. I have been contemplating about building a 300 Norma mag, but the brass concerns me if it will be around long enough if it doesn't get more popular. have a 300RUM but wanted something new maybe more efficient too. now that Nosler has 26,28,30 out leaning that direction. I believe the performance should be really similar to what I was thinking I would get with a 300 Norma. I have not been to happy about brass availability over the last few years. now lot more forethought on new purchases.....

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I have a 7mm dakota with a bruxx barrel with a 1-8 twist. I shoot the hunting 180vld out of it 3050fps muzzle. It shoots and kills so well I hate to change a thing. I'm dying to try the new bullet though. Keep me posted.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon