Bear stand advice

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Trying to get this bear to come into my ground blind set up while I'm there. The bait was set up 9 days ago and this bear came into the bait after 2 days. Then came in everyday day, usually mornings and evening both for 6 days. I hunted on 4 times in mornings and evenings, never showed. Any advice on what to do? I've rebaited and going to let it sit for a day or two before going back in.

Bear 1.jpg

Bear 4.jpg

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
You are likely getting busted going to your stand. I would give it a couple days and then access the stand a couple hours before day light. If you can handle being in dark woods with a bear that is...If not then go in at mid-day with as much stealth as you can. I also wouldn't sit down wind of the stand but rather 45 degrees off of down wind.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Trying to get this bear to come into my ground blind set up while I'm there. The bait was set up 9 days ago and this bear came into the bait after 2 days. Then came in everyday day, usually mornings and evening both for 6 days. I hunted on 4 times in mornings and evenings, never showed. Any advice on what to do? I've rebaited and going to let it sit for a day or two before going back in.

View attachment 21500

View attachment 21501
The bear knows you're there. He is either smelling you in the blind or getting your scent when you are approaching the blind.

Wind direction is everything! I am assuming you setup the blind so the wind is blowing from the bait to the blind? But just as important is the ability to get to the blind without having the bear scent you. You don't want to flush/alert the bear when going to the blind. You might try going to the blind from a different direction.

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You are likely getting busted going to your stand. I would give it a couple days and then access the stand a couple hours before day light. If you can handle being in dark woods with a bear that is...If not then go in at mid-day with as much stealth as you can. I also wouldn't sit down wind of the stand but rather 45 degrees off of down wind.
Thanks Hilltop, I've been sitting at the stand from about 5pm until dark 9:30 here and from 5:30 am til 10. , with bear spray and rifle. Yes, I believe I got busted. Washed hunting clothes in scent free soap, going to use a scent reducer spray. Trying to stay with wind at 45 degree. Don't know if should use a cover scent.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
You didn't say if you were using a bow or rifle to take him. If your using a firearm, i wouldn't sit that close to the bait for reasons the others have posted. When i hunted my baits with a rifle i sat about 50 to 60 yards away in a groundblind i made out of natural material i found in the area like logs and brush and rocks. No need to be that close with a gun. With a bow is different as i had tree stands at 18 yards from the bait site also. Just another recommendation.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You also might want to try to come into your blind from a different direction. Sounds like the bear is picking up your scent.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
You could try having somebody drop you off. By that, I mean have somebody come in with you when you bait the stand as you normally would, same time of day, etc. and while your buddy is baiting, you hop in your stand as quietly as possible and then your buddy leaves. Ideally the bear will think you baited and left the area as usual - it might be enough to trick the bear in to thinking you baited the spot and left. This trick has usually worked fairly well for us here in Wisconsin.

Also, try and get as far away from the bait as you can comfortably shoot at a bear at the bait. Cover looks pretty thick so I'm guessing you can't back off too far, but every little bit helps. Sometimes, you can catch them scent checking the bait before they come in and shoot them well before they get the chance to eat. Like fackelberry, we've had luck just sitting in a sparse brush/grass blind on the ground when the presence of a double bull/ameristep seemed to spook them a bit.

Good luck, looks like a great bear. Let us know the weight when you get him if you can.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
You could try having somebody drop you off. By that, I mean have somebody come in with you when you bait the stand as you normally would, same time of day, etc. and while your buddy is baiting, you hop in your stand as quietly as possible and then your buddy leaves. Ideally the bear will think you baited and left the area as usual - it might be enough to trick the bear in to thinking you baited the spot and left. This trick has usually worked fairly well for us here in Wisconsin.

Also, try and get as far away from the bait as you can comfortably shoot at a bear at the bait. Cover looks pretty thick so I'm guessing you can't back off too far, but every little bit helps. Sometimes, you can catch them scent checking the bait before they come in and shoot them well before they get the chance to eat. Like fackelberry, we've had luck just sitting in a sparse brush/grass blind on the ground when the presence of a double bull/ameristep seemed to spook them a bit.

Good luck, looks like a great bear. Let us know the weight when you get him if you can.
Get as far away from the bait as you can. Older bears will often circle the bait before coming in making it impossible to play the wind.

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Finally got the bear! Thanks for all your advice. Tried just about everything, moved my stand 100 yds away, came in from different direction, paid close attention to wind direction and tried to be as scent free as possible. Yesterday, during a light snowstorm, I refreshed the bait and the bear came in within 5 minutes!

Bear 7.jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That's the way to stick with it when it appears that things are not working for you.

Nice looking bear.

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Really a great forum! Thinking about what forum members mentioned. As I was going into the stand each day being as motionless as possible, just tried a different approach each time, watching the wind, showering with unscented soap, keeping hunting clothes washed using unscented soap in a separate bag, and keeping in mind how well bears can hear and smell did the trick. This was a new area and will be next years spot.