Bear hunt advice

Humblesmith

Sep 26, 2013
I?ve been getting really interested in going bear hunting with hounds. The idea sounds very appealing to me since I read an account of some folks from the 1800s that did it.

Can anyone give advice on outfitters, places to go or things to avoid?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Wisconsin is loaded with houndsmen that have great hounds. You need some points to draw a tag, an A or B tag is what you would want. The population of bears is through the roof there right now.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
I?ll second WI. Nonresident tag costs are extremely reasonable - unfortunately. You will need several years worth of preference points, but I think they are still only $4.50 each. Zone B is good but you?re looking at a 15 plus year wait on the tag. Look at zones A and D. Costs for the guide will run $500 to $1,500. Not including food and lodging.

I shot a 20 inch (skull) 7 footer about 15 years ago over dogs in Zone B. Search “Crazy Killin’ Bear In The Corn” on YouTube. We?ve gone with the Rines half a dozen times - they?re great guides.

And if you wanted to get a feel for it I guaranty you could find a group of guys that would let you ride along for the weekend while they?re training. The end of August guys are running all the time.

Last edited:

hunter25

Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I'm currently sitting on 6 michigan points having just bought them. Theoretically I can draw second season next year in the Marinette area but will likely wait a year extra due to other bookings next year.
I have the same in Wisconsin and minnesota. All cheap preference points.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
WI Bear.jpg
Here's the Wisconsin 2019 draw. I forgot one of the zones got split a few years ago. A and D would be your best options. Zone C doesn't allow hounds, so it's not an option.