Bass Pro pursuing acquisition of Cabelas

SunnyInCO

Oct 20, 2015
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I read of this back in November. An (investment) activist is trying to get Cab to sell their entire business or possibly only divest their credit card business which made them something like $500 mil a year. Appears a lot of people use their Cabelas credit card that cannot obviously afford what they are buying. Bass Pro would be an obvious option to buy either the entire business or just the credit card division. Goldman Sachs is rumored to be leading the BP takeover strategy and a lot of the large banks are looking into bidding for the credit card business...Capital One, Bank of America, etc.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I read of this back in November. An (investment) activist is trying to get Cab to sell or possibly divest their credit card business which made them something like $500 mil a year. A lot of people use their credit card that cannot obviously afford what they are buying. Bass pro would be a obvious option thus the rumor. Goldman Sachs is rumored to be leading the takeover strategy.
I have a Cabelas Card, if BP buys it and takes over, my card gets cut up and the account cancelled.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
One of the things I really dislike about Bass Pro out here in NV is that they have too much merchandise geared towards the East and their fishing and hunting ways. Like tree stands, rattling antlers and grunt calls for white tails. They sell trot lines for fishing which are illegal here.
Every t-shirt that has a deer pictured on it is a whitetail, not interested. The leather belts are all made in china, no thanks.
Cabelas has moved in the same direction with a lot of made in china product too so that puts us in a pickle. :mad:

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Well I'm ahead of everyone, I cut up my Cabela's credit card about 4 years ago and only use cash or my debit card now.

It's all about quantity not quality any more, don't care how they get the profit needle to move up, just as long as it does.

WELDO

Jan 1, 2016
One of the things I really dislike about Bass Pro out here in NV is that they have too much merchandise geared towards the East and their fishing and hunting ways. Like tree stands, rattling antlers and grunt calls for white tails. They sell trot lines for fishing which are illegal here.
Every t-shirt that has a deer pictured on is a whitetail, not interested. The leather belts are all made in china, no thanks.
Cabelas has moved in the same direction with a lot of made in china product too so that puts us in a pickle. :mad:
My thoughts exactly! As I've shopped in the Vegas store I often asked why they don't have merchandise more fitting for the area and they just give ya a blank look. I limit what I buy at either store anymore. I rather support the mom and pop shops nowadayz:D

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Every t-shirt that has a deer pictured on is a whitetail, not interested. The leather belts are all made in china, no thanks.
My thoughts exactly! As I've shopped in the Vegas store I often asked why they don't have merchandise more fitting for the area and they just give ya a blank look. I limit what I buy at either store anymore. I rather support the mom and pop shops nowadayz:D
The same thing is going on with Cabela's. 90% of their merchandise is made in China. Anymore I don't even bother with either store very much. If I can get what I am looking for elsewhere I will do it but for some products they are the go to store.

I have actually gone to and purchased more items from Sprotsman's Warehouse in the last few years than I have at either Cablea's or Bass Pro.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was in Grand Junction last week for an apt at the VA clinic. I went to Cabelas & SW looking at fish finders. SW didn't have very many, I was really disappointed. All I actually bought was fishing line to refill all my reels before I start fishing. The one I wanted was out of stock at Cabelas and they told me they won't be getting any more this season.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You are in the same kind of position that I am in. You need to drive 1/2 of a day to get to one of their stores and when you get there they don't have what you are looking for.

This is one of the reasons that I have almost gave up on going to their physical stores anymore. I have found that if you know what you want to just purchase it on line and save the aggravation of going into the store and not finding it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I doubt that you will see much difference if it does happen, at least I can't imagine Bass changing over all the Cabela's stores and taking over their on line catalog sales.

But they might

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Bass Pro seems to be more for the fisherman of the world, I guess that's why it's called Bass Pro. I like Cabelas myself but I've only been in a couple Bass Pro's.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I was in Grand Junction last week for an apt at the VA clinic. I went to Cabelas & SW looking at fish finders. SW didn't have very many, I was really disappointed. All I actually bought was fishing line to refill all my reels before I start fishing. The one I wanted was out of stock at Cabelas and they told me they won't be getting any more this season.
Amazon.com! Or try west marine online, depending on what your looking for they usually have rebates etc that are a big help.

For me, the closest cabelas is 425 miles so it really isn't a choice. I have visited as many other stores as I can when traveling but will say while in Denver recently, I visited the cabelas and sw and while they had some different items, I wouldn't see myself being exclusive to one or the other.

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
BP is not the same quality as Cabelas and it's not that they are more oriented toward fishing, even though they are - it's that they're too oriented toward too much. Big box stores work best when they stick to their niche. When they try to be fishing and hunting and shooting and camping and boating and casual clothing and tractors and a finance company they forget what made them worth going to in the first place.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I am really to the point anymore that I don't care for either one. I haven't cared for Bass Pro's quality for quite a while now and Cabela's is pricing themselves out of my market on a lot of items.

I have to drive 120 miles one way for a Cabela's either east or west but if I go east to Denver there is also a Bass Pro and a larger Cabela's than there is in Grand Junction 120 miles to the west. But I'll spend more money tomorrow at a Sportsman's Warehouse instead of going to either Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
It's a sad day.... RIP Cabelas.
I was hoping BP would operate the stores as Cabelas, but it appears unlikely.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I used to like going into these stores but something changed for me a long time ago. Now I only buy little stuff, never camouflage or big ticket items. I take the kids so they can see the mounts and the fish. That's about it for me. Wonder how that's going to work? A lot of their stores are literally really close to each other. Doesn't seem smart to keep two stores open unless they're both profitable. Wonder if they will shut down and consolidate gear brands??