"Balanced" Hunting Rifle?

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
I haven't ever encountered this problem. I put a rifle together and now it seems "unbalanced". The rifle is 6 3/8 pounds. And the scope is 1 1/2 pounds. It feels pretty top heavy. I like a balanced rifle. When I go and shoot it, it doesn't bother me. I don't think twice about it. But when cleaning it and showing people at home etc etc. I can't help but have it bother me...a lot. I have a Vortex Viper 4-16x50mm on top of my .300 winnie. Should I wait until my first hunt this fall and decide or try and switch scopes whether its a trade or trying to sell it? I never considered scope weight when I put them together. Thanks guys.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You own it, shoot it. Kinda late to be changing optics and have time to do some shootin before hunting starts. I assume you have shot it some and everything is fine except the "balance". Unless you bang it up, it shouldn't be worth less after hunting season.

nitis

Jun 6, 2012
It sounds like you were trying to get the best of both worlds in a light easy to carry mountain rifle but yet a long range set up. Kinda tough to do. Those big scopes go in big rifles. Remember you're not shooting prairie dogs with it your target is really good size get a good quality piece in the 3-9 range with a 40 mm objective.

As for changing now I would ride it out

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
Yes that is exactly what I was doing. I wanted it to be easy shooting out to 600 yards, but keeping it under 8 pounds as well. I knew I should have just put a swaro Z3 3-10x42, probably would be a better choice and still under 1000$! Maybe over the winter...haha