Backpack fit and setup

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I've packed with a 40lb pack or so before but nothing heavier and not while hunting. This year I am planning to pack in for a 1-2 night hunt if plan A doesn't work.

So, I've been trying to test out a Stone Glacier Terminus that I'm planning to use and wanted to get feedback on if what I am experiencing is typical of a pack with heavier weights. I don't feel any issues until I get over 60lbs. Lately I've tried hiking a couple times with upwards of 80lbs. When I put this kind of weight on I feel hunched over, maybe 15 degrees from vertical, with all the weight pressing on my hips. When I walk I'm slightly hunched over and I can definitely feel the weight in my hip sockets. I don't feel any weight on my shoulders. The top of the shoulder strap doesn't even touch my shoulders.

Is this typical? Any recommendations on proper setup of a pack?

RANGER619

Sep 27, 2011
MN
Have you checked out the pack fitting video Curt has on Stone Glacier's website? He has a good video on there covering the fit of his packs.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I would recommend calling Stone Glacier and they can walk you through the correct setup and fit. I think the owner's name is Kurt. With 80 lbs there should not be a gap between your shoulders and the shoulder strap. You will probably want about 70-80% of the weight on your hips and 20-30% on your shoulders.

Good Luck

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Adjust the load lifters. Where is the weight on your pack?

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have watched there video but it doesn't really speak to is what I am feeling correct. I've also spoken with Kurt about this bag but I may have missed something. I know his video references that you want the shoulder strap to sit where the gray to black fabric transition should be about an inch to the front side of your shoulder. Maybe I'll try and call tomorrow and discuss with Kurt again.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
If you still get no results, see if you can find someone that has David Longs hunting the high country video ,he shows in it how to properly adjust a pack, eberstock has one on youtube, also,I know you said yours is a glacier, but as long as they are packed right I would think they would all adjust the same.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If you still get no results, see if you can find someone that has David Longs hunting the high country video ,he shows in it how to properly adjust a pack, eberstock has one on youtube, also,I know you said yours is a glacier, but as long as they are packed right I would think they would all adjust the same.
Principles are same, adjustments are different

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I looked at his video again and his pack care/fit section. Based on the picture in that section I probably didn't have the shoulder straps adjusted right causing about an 3/4 inch gap between the shoulder pad and my shoulder. I readjusted everything again and I'll have to see how it fits tomorrow.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I have a SG Solo. I have it fit very balanced as far as hips and shoulders. I seem to be little wimpier than some in the ability to carry most of the weight on my hips. When I get really heavy(over 60 for me), I can adjust the weight from my hips to my shoulders while walking by adjusting my posture periodically. I doubt if this is the way you are supposed to do it, but it works for me. After talking with Curt, he said I could probably do well with the 3 PC belt and a slight adjustment in the belt height.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I know what you are going through It took me a few hikes with a full load to get my Kifaru just about right. I would guess that I am running about 80% hips and 20% lightly on the shoulders. There are so many adjustment that you can shift the weight from the lumbar pad to the hips to the shoulders and vise versa. Also adjusting the weight with the load lifters and how the pack is packed makes a huge difference. I like packing mine with the heavier things closer to the body and higher in the pack. I am probably going to do one more adjustment to shift a little weight to the side of the hips. I have been on about 20 full pack hikes since I bought it and this will probably be the last adjustment. Full compression also makes a big difference with the heavier loads. After this last adjustment I will probably start trimming a few straps.

I believe that BB has tested and or used the pack you have. He might have some insight for you.

Last edited:

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
We'll I readjusted everything based on Kurt's video and pack fit section. I definitely have a more comfortable fit but I need to go walk in a bit more than around the yard. Based on my conversation with Kurt I think I also need to play a little more with the shoulder strap positions and load lifters to see if I can get a balance I like.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Any luck with the adjustments?

We'll I readjusted everything based on Kurt's video and pack fit section. I definitely have a more comfortable fit but I need to go walk in a bit more than around the yard. Based on my conversation with Kurt I think I also need to play a little more with the shoulder strap positions and load lifters to see if I can get a balance I like.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Any luck with the adjustments?
I did a little more walking with my pack yesterday, but I still need to do more. I'm hoping Sunday I'll get the time needed to do a longer walk. It definetely feels better so far, but I may need to get used to adjusting the shoulder straps and load suspension to adjust the weight some as I walk.....not sure yet.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
W2H,
This morning I went for my weekly full pack +10 hike. Before I went I consciously went through the process I go through putting my pack on and adjusting it. Maybe it will help. First off before I started today you should know that when I get through with each trek I loosen the load lifters, shoulder straps, and belt before I remove my pack as it is easier to remove the loaded pack and then put it back on.
So with the load lifters, shoulder straps, and belt loose and the pack compressed as far as it will go I first put the pack on. Important to me since the pack adjustments are loose is to first make sure the center lumbar pad is in the correct left and right position. I lean foreword and wiggle the pack to make sure lumbar pad is in that correct left and right position on the lower back. I then clip the belt and tighten it to about 80%. I then stand up straight and adjust the shoulder straps. To do this I do it in two steps. First I turn slightly to the left and adjust (tighten) the left shoulder strap so it is making contact with the front of the shoulder but leaving about a thumb width of space between the back of the shoulder and the shoulder strap. I then repeat the same sequence on the right shoulder. Now I turn facing foreword and the lower lumbar pad will be slightly lower than I want it. At this point I just hop up a little and tighten the belt at the same time. This locks the lumbar pad at the right height. Now the shoulder straps might feel a little loose so I snug them up just a little I mean very little. Once I feel that I am loaded at between 75-80% of the weight on the belt and between 20-25% on the shoulders Then making sure I am standing straight up I then adjust the load lifters a little to pull the weight up & foreword towards my back. Then I am ready to roll. Hopefully this will help out a little. Mark

One more thing After about a mile or so I normally do a little fine tuning on the adjustments as things start to settle in a little.

Last edited:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
W2H,

25C's technique is pretty similar to what I do. It sounds like you had a little longer torso adjustment than SG recommends originally, but you may have shortened it a tad now? That could have been causing your issues.

Pack fit definitely varies a little bit due to user preference and build too.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
W2H,

25C's technique is pretty similar to what I do. It sounds like you had a little longer torso adjustment than SG recommends originally, but you may have shortened it a tad now? That could have been causing your issues.

Pack fit definitely varies a little bit due to user preference and build too.
BB,
So far it appears that the biggest adjustment was I had the pack set for a longer torso as you mentioned and I shortened mine. Hopefully Sunday I can get out for a bit longer hike then around my yard.

Mark's adjustment process seems similar to how I do it, but I'm gonna pay extra attention next time I put the pack on and see if I can do anything different.....and definitely do a 1 mile adjustment as needed.

Thanks for the help guys.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Managed to get out last night with my pack for a 2 mile walk. With the adjusted torso position and synching up my straps to allow for a 80/20 weight split between my waist and shoulders things were much better.

Thanks for the help.