AZ Late Rifle Coues recommendation for my wife?!?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Hi All,

I am an absolute novice when it come to Coues deer hunting but I do love to glass and have the tools to do it well!

My wife's good friend lives in Phoenix and I am considering taking my wife down for a Coues hunt over the Christmas break. She should be able to draw any late December tag in Arizona except for perhaps 22 and 23 and she would be very close to drawing those in the bonus pass. I have been researching, reading and listening to podcasts and have the areas somewhat narrowed down. I wanted to see if anyone had some intel they would be willing to share in a PM me to help me sort out the areas to apply for.

I am trying to stay away from the border units, which I know have the highest Coues populations, but my wife has no desire to hunt an area where illegals are a concern.

Thanks!

P.S. Looking for areas that are not overly physical, but hiking 2 to 3 miles is not an issue.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The border areas are not that bad as far as the illegals are concerned. I was down there twice in 36c and while we saw evidence of them we didn't see any. On our way out in 2017 we did see a smuggler fly over in a ultra lite on a drug drop but never saw him after he flew over us. They claim that they know that they need to leave hunters alone or the Border Patrol will be all over them. We did see a higher presence of patrols in 17 than we did in 16 but they could of just been doing a step up enforcement. In 2016 we did see a guide trucking down a wash checking things out and then the next day we found evidence of them passing through during the night.

The area that we hunted we started hunting at the 3 mile mark and one day did a 7 mile hike in. It wasn't bad in the morning with the sand in the wash being frozen or at least a little bit damp but that hike out was a killer.

There is one area that we hunted that is only about a mile hike and you can sit just off of a road to glass and make a decision on if you wanted to go after one of the bucks that you might spot.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
UH,
I've hunted or scouted in 3 different units for deer or Javelina. Still kind of a novice, but could share what I know about Coues. I actually was successful on my first (and only so far) Coues hunt and have tagged out on both Javelina hunts, but your wife might have too many points to use in the unit I hunted (not on the border). Anyway let me know if you're interested in hearing the little bit I've learned. It was a blast, I hope I'll get drawn again soon!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
UH,
I've hunted or scouted in 3 different units for deer or Javelina. Still kind of a novice, but could share what I know about Coues. I actually was successful on my first (and only so far) Coues hunt and have tagged out on both Javelina hunts, but your wife might have too many points to use in the unit I hunted (not on the border). Anyway let me know if you're interested in hearing the little bit I've learned. It was a blast, I hope I'll get drawn again soon!
PM sent :)

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've hunted literally on the border twice.
Lots of border patrol in the area including occasional choppers.
Have never seen anyone else other than hunters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I've hunted literally on the border twice.
Lots of border patrol in the area including occasional choppers.
Have never seen anyone else other than hunters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. I know there is a 95% chance we would not have any issues.

Two things I am considering for this hunt. First is my wife will have the points to hunt virtually any unit in the state and nearly twice as many as she needs for the border units. This is probably her one chance to hunt one of the high demand tags. Second, I always do everything I can to make my wife's hunts enjoyable and something she looks forward to. We have become great hunting partners. Trying to convince her that hunting the border won't be a problem isn't something I want to do. I want her to always know I am putting together hunts she will thoroughly enjoy and will be safe doing.

In the future, when I finally burn my points (max), I personally would be open to hunting the border units while she visits her friend in Phoenix.