Arrows

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I'm in need of some new arrows. Do you prefer ordering your arrows online or at your local shop? I usually buy from my local shop to help them out, but have not been completely happy with their fletching job. Is there an online dealer that you would recommend? I shot Easton ST Axis Nano’s, so I’m hoping the shop(s) you recommend carry them. Most do.

Howahunter

Mar 29, 2011
Idaho
www.mnmwildlife.com
I order from a shop where I previously lived in Idaho; it is about 300 miles away from me but shipping is fast and he does an excellent job. Just ordered two dozen victory arrows from him and they were fletched perfectly and every arrow was within a grain of each other. the shop is called White Tip Archery in Pocatello, Idaho. www.whitetiparchery.com

Mar 19, 2011
Battle Creek MI
From my perspective, buy local! I had an archery shop for a few years and I had to shut it down. It failed for multiple reasons, but it would have helped if people would have bought our goods for our slightly lower price than to leave our store and drive 30 minutes to pay full price for the same product from a BIG store. Oh well, I shop at the BIG stores also...now. Consider buying a fletching jig and do your own. It's very satisfying and not difficult. If you knock vanes off while you're practicing, then you can fix them right away. Opinion aside, do NOT buy from bulk boxes. Most arrows are matched per dozen for straightness and stiffness from the factory. If you decide to buy online I would suggest using a personal reference like Howahunter posted. I've got to think you're more likely to get a factory set than you would from an "online store".

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Mountain Archery in Idaho does a very professional job. I have had many arrows made from them until I started doing my own. They will custom fletch anything you want, and I have never had a fletch come off.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
From my perspective, buy local! I had an archery shop for a few years and I had to shut it down. It failed for multiple reasons, but it would have helped if people would have bought our goods for our slightly lower price than to leave our store and drive 30 minutes to pay full price for the same product from a BIG store. Oh well, I shop at the BIG stores also...now. Consider buying a fletching jig and do your own. It's very satisfying and not difficult. If you knock vanes off while you're practicing, then you can fix them right away. Opinion aside, do NOT buy from bulk boxes. Most arrows are matched per dozen for straightness and stiffness from the factory. If you decide to buy online I would suggest using a personal reference like Howahunter posted. I've got to think you're more likely to get a factory set than you would from an "online store".
What fletching jig would you recommended?

Mar 19, 2011
Battle Creek MI
I use JoJan Mono Fletcher at the recommendation of multiple shop owners. I am not disappointed. You can get a 6 jig also. They come in right hand, left hand and straight depending on what twist you want on your vanes/feathers. The bases are all the same but the clamps for the vanes are different. The jigs are adjustable to fine tune the amount of twist.

The Quick Spin vanes by NAP can be tricky because of the tab on the end of the vanes. Bohning Blazers must go on arrow wraps or they wont last. Norway Duravanes work good. Those are all that I have experience with. Glue is crucial. Sure Foot Fast Fletch works good, but it's VERY easy to use too much and it will run down the shafts. I can't remember what I'm using now and I'm out of town for a while. It works good though. lol

Have the shop you buy the arrows from cut them to length for you unless you want your own arrow cutting saw. If you cut your own, make sure to cut the right end. I think it matters on some arrows. Just make sure to clean the carbon dust off (inside and out) with rubbing alcohol using a Q-tip prior to applying the epoxy. Insert glue is simple. I use AAE Epoxy. Any 2 part epoxy should be fine. Simply wipe the excess glue off with a rag.

If you decide to get a vane remover, I use Norway Zip Strip. It works great but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Building you own arrows makes it all more personal. I enjoy doing it while I'm watching Eastmans TV or reading EHJ or EBJ. lol again.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I use JoJan Mono Fletcher at the recommendation of multiple shop owners. I am not disappointed. You can get a 6 jig also. They come in right hand, left hand and straight depending on what twist you want on your vanes/feathers. The bases are all the same but the clamps for the vanes are different. The jigs are adjustable to fine tune the amount of twist.

The Quick Spin vanes by NAP can be tricky because of the tab on the end of the vanes. Bohning Blazers must go on arrow wraps or they wont last. Norway Duravanes work good. Those are all that I have experience with. Glue is crucial. Sure Foot Fast Fletch works good, but it's VERY easy to use too much and it will run down the shafts. I can't remember what I'm using now and I'm out of town for a while. It works good though. lol

Have the shop you buy the arrows from cut them to length for you unless you want your own arrow cutting saw. If you cut your own, make sure to cut the right end. I think it matters on some arrows. Just make sure to clean the carbon dust off (inside and out) with rubbing alcohol using a Q-tip prior to applying the epoxy. Insert glue is simple. I use AAE Epoxy. Any 2 part epoxy should be fine. Simply wipe the excess glue off with a rag.

If you decide to get a vane remover, I use Norway Zip Strip. It works great but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Building you own arrows makes it all more personal. I enjoy doing it while I'm watching Eastmans TV or reading EHJ or EBJ. lol again.
Thank you. I will look into eveything you mentioned. Great feedback!