Arizona unit 6a opinions/advice please

okie archer

Feb 5, 2015
Coweta, Oklahoma
I have 20+ years of serious hunting experience but not for elk. I have never killed an elk. Last year was my first year to try. Hi hunted with a friend from Idaho on a general tag. My plan was to hunt OTC units in Colorado so I could gain some experience while collecting points in Arizona. Well I drew this year with two points. While I'm happy I'm also intimidated. I live in Oklahoma so scouting is probably not an option. I can either go with a friend who has some elk hunting experience or go guided. I'm really a diy hunter but don't want to waste a good tag. Also money IS an object concerning hiring a guide. I'd rather put 5k toward moose or caribou. Any advice?

dble07

Dec 6, 2014
Which tag did you draw? My girlfriend drew the early archery tag and scouting will definitely not be an option from ND. My 02¢ would be save your money and talk your friend into going. For me personally I would have a hard time paying for a guide to take me into a unit that has 700 tags unless it was once-in-lifetime tag, I wanted to hunt private land, it was going to be the only hunt for that species, or (in the case of Wyoming) I wanted to hunt the wilderness as a NR. Talk your buddy with some experience into going and have fun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dble07

Dec 6, 2014
Keep me posted on what your plans are okie and maybe we can meet up down there and share a campfire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Predatore

Oct 12, 2015
Loveland, CO
I have spent a fair amount of time hunting elk and whitetail in 6A and believe it holds some respectable elk. However, it's not a true trophy unit by AZ standards, so I'd be hard-pressed to use a guide there. I have come across 350"+ sheds, my friend shot a 380" there, and occasionally a 400" bull will be taken. With enough time and hard work I bet you can find a 300"+ bull on your own. If you really want a 350" bull a guide may be worth considering, but any larger and maybe you should hold out for a better unit.

There are some great rugged areas in that unit removed from the roads, so give those topo maps a good look.